List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1062914

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityFenton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 85 SE FENTON MAIN STREET (west side)

1/19 Church of All Saints 20.9.66 G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1838, restored 1875 and 1888. Coursed ironstone rubble, Ancaster stone ashlar, blue lias, red brick, some rendering, lead and slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and rectangular chancel. C15 ashlar west tower of 3 stages with clasping buttresses. Pronounced plinth mouldings on all 3 sides. First stage, west front, has C15 windows of 2 cusped and pointed lights with quatrefoil and mullions above, hood mould and large ornate head label stops. Second stage, west, north and south sides have single small rectangular windows containing single quatrefoils. Both stages, north side have small lights illuminating stairs. Second stage, east side has steep pitch of nave's original roof line visible. C15 bell openings on all 4 sides with 2 cusped, pointed lights with quatrefoil and mullions above. Frieze of quatrefoils set in diamonds, battle- ments, projecting gargoyles and ornate corner pinnacles. C15 octagonal tower with 2 tiers of ornate lucarnes in alternating directions, crockets, and finial. Ironstone north aisle with Ancaster stone dressings. C14 window in west front with 2 cusped lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label stops. 4 C19 buttresses of 2 stages with curved setoffs and gable tops. C12 round headed, single chamfered blocked doorway with hood mould. C15 window to east with 2 cusped round headed lights surmounted by 4 small pointed and cusped lights beneath a 3 centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. To east a C15 2 light window with pointed and cusped tracery, restored in C19. Chancel of 1838, of rendered brick with Ancaster stone quoins and dressings. North side has single round headed light. East end has large rectangular window of 3 cusped lights. South side has 2 single round headed lights. South aisle, east front of Ancaster stone with C15 window of 2 pointed and cusped lights surmounted by 3 mullions and further cusping, hood mould and head label stops. Buttress to the south of 2 stages with projecting gargoyle above. South aisle, south front of ironstone with ashlar dressings. Moulded plinth and eaves. C15 window of 2 round headed cusped lights surmounted by 4 small pointed and cusped lights beneath a 3-centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. C15 porch, east side of ironstone with Ancaster stone dressings, the west side, of C20 blue lias, both with single deeply splayed openings. 2 centred doorway with hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Interior stone benches and west doorway with plain 2 centred arch. C15 window to west of porch of 2 round headed cusped lights surmounted by 4 small pointed and cusped lights beneath a 3 centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. South facing, 2 stage angle buttress. West front of south aisle has pointed C15 window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil and mullions above. Interior C15 tower arch with semi-circular responds, five sided capitals and abaci and simply moulded pointed arch. North arcade of 4 bays. To the west, 2 mid C12 bays with plain chamfered round headed arches, supported by single round pier and 2 semi-circular responds, all with scalloped and beaded capitals. To the east, 2 early C13 bays, one west and one east of screen, with 5 sided responds and simply moulded round arches. 3 bay south arcade of late C13 with one octagonal pier. 4 five-sided responds with simply moulded pointed arches. To north east, a chapel with aumbry and corbel in north wall. Small aumbry in north wall of chancel and small, mid C12 pier with scalloped capital fixed to south wall. C15 screen of 4 wooden panels, each divided by a mullion, with perpendicular tracery with rosettes, and the lower panels with blind tracery and rosettes. C15 pulpit of 4 panels with reticulated tracery with rosettes and chamfered rail. Altar rail of c.1730. C19 pews with some C15 bench ends. Table font with fragments of C13 capitals and bases used in more recent reconstruction . Plaque of 1888 recording Richard Lucas' bequest of £250 for church repairs. C19 and C20 timber roofs throughout, re-using some older timbers.

Listing NGR: SK8785250687

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 87852 50686

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:05:12.