List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1062889

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityHougham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193935

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 SE HOUGHAM CHURCH LANE (east side)

5/46 Church of All Saints

20.9.66 I

Parish Church. C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, restored 1845 and in 1895-6 by Temple Moore. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, rectangular chancel. C14 ashlar west tower base with plinth, upper parts of which are C18. Three stages with stepped angle buttresses, lit by two light windows with Y tracery beneath pointed heads with chamfered hood moulds with human mask label stops. Most of the windows are C18 restorations, as are the tower pinnacles which share the same curious dogtooth motif. Only the ground floor window in the west side of the tower appears entirely C14. North wall of nave is in coursed limestone rubble with four paired clerestorey lights having cusped trefoil heads under pointed arches with chamfered hood moulds and human headed label stops, gargoyles and a moulded blank parapet above. The north aisle of coursed rubble has a C19 3 light window in the west wall and 2 large 3 light C15 windows with cusped heads and segmental arches in the north wall with 2 large 3 light early C16 windows at its east end, which is built in ashlsr, and which are distinguishable by the flatly rounded heads of the lower lights. The C13 north door has a deep heavily moulded head with human mask label stops. The blank parapet and projecting gargoyles appear to be early C16, since the gargoyle are rather larger and more naturalistic than the C15 examples. East wall of the aisle has a C19 door. East wall of the chancel has large leaded 3 light Venetian window, now blocked from within by C19 reredos. South wall of chancel has large leaded C18 semi-circular headed window. South wall of nave has 2 light C14 clerestorey windows beneath a blind parapet with small quatrefoils on the underside of the springing course. South aisle has C19 windows in the east and west walls, and a pair of two light reticulated traceried lights beneath flat hood moulds in its south wall. There is a further single C14 light west of the porch. C15 blind parapet and projecting gargoyles over. South porch is C15 with outer four centred arch with a sundial above. The roof has four stone ribs and a pinnacled decorated gable with a gabled and floriated niche above the crest. Inside, the south nave arcade is C12 with double stepped arches with moulded cushion capitals and chamfered hood moulds. The arcade is arranged in a rhythm of one and a pair with a pier of masonry between the two groups. This masonry appears to be C11, since it contains the western reveal of a three stepped window which is cut by a C12 arch of the arcade. The nave walls are notably tall and narrow, and they may be C11 too. The north arcade is c1300 with octagonal piers supporting pointed stepped and chamfered arches with moulded capitals. Over the south door is a section of repositioned Anglo- Saxon cross shaft, probably C10, with flaccid interlace and knotwork in a plain panel (c/f Creeton, Lincs.) A C19 pierced stone screen in the Gothic style divides off the Thorold mortuary chapel at the east end of the north aisle. The chancel arch is C14 and matches the north arcade except that it has castellated capitals and human mask label stops. First floor entry to C14 rood loft to south of chancel arch, and ground floor doorway with flat lintel in the north wall of the south aisle with blocked ogee headed door over. Also in the south aisle is a slightly ogee headed piscina and 4 C14 castellated statue brackets at the east end. In the east wall is a blocked square stone squint. Chancel has a C16 arch in its north wall opening into the north aisle; the head comes to an awkward point, and the jambs are severely moulded with one concave order, probably early C16. Corbels and principal timbers of the south aisle roof are probably C16 also; corbels are grotesque masks on the north and pendents on the south. Fittings: C18 chancel roof and panelled screen at base of tower, otherwise all is C19 including the Norman Revival font. Monuments: early C13 knight in north aisle, recumbent, chain mail only with surcoat, sword and shield, head on cushion, feet resting on a lion; possibly Sir Hugh de Bussey, crusader. Small rectangular inscribed brass panel on south chancel wall beneath window to Robert Meres, d.1652, Professor of Theology, Chancellor of Lincoln Cathedral, with coats of arms. Marble wall plaque on south wall of chancel, still life of chalice and books to Rev. George Thorold, d.1832, by P. Rouw. Horizontal marble block with crowned cross and sacred monogram in the north aisle to Arthur Thorold, d.1854, by A. Boucneau, resting on a C15 monumental brass matrix of a knight and lady with shields beneath.

Listing NGR: SK8865944222

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 88660 44221

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:41:23.