List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1062868

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBoothby Pagnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193991

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOOTHBY PAGNELL MAIN STREET SK 93 SE (east side)

1/16 Church of 20.9.66 St. Andrew

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C12, late C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1896 by J. L. Pearson. Ashlar. Coursed limestone rubble, lead and slate roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, chancel, aisles, vestry, south porch. Late C12 west tower of 3 stages with plinth, moulded offests, C15 embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles. In the belfry stage are 4 two light windows, round heads to the lights and octagonal mid wall shafts. Ground stage south side has a single round headed light. Round headed west door recut C19. Paired angle shafts with waterleaf capitals. Double roll moulded head and chamfered inner arch. West wall of tower is in ashlar. Single light to second stage. Separately gabled north aisle has stepped angle buttresses and 4 three light C14 reticulated windows, one to the west and east, 2 to the north side. C19 vestry, gabled, with pointed door. In the early C14 chancel are 4 three light windows with flowing tracery, one to the north, 3 to the south. The fine east window is similar but of 4 lights. All substantially recut C19. Also in the south wall is a 2 light low side window with square moulded head and hood. In the south aisle are 3 C15 triangular headed 3 light windows with cusped ogee heads, one to each direction. Tall north and south clerestory with a pair of 2 light windows having cusped ogee heads and moulded surrounds. Gabled C19 south porch in C14 style. Moulded outer arch and trefoil side lights, containing reset fragments of medieval glass. Interior. 2 bay early C12 nave arcades having circular piers and responds with cushion and scalloped capitals, double stepped arches. Late C12 tower arch is of 2 semi-circular stepped orders and an inner chamfer with facetted corbels. Above a C19 opening to upper gallery. In the south aisle an ogee headed aumbry, and 2 C19 stone statues. C13 pointed double chamfered arch having facetted corbels. Chancel north wall has 2 C14 double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal pier and responds and human head label stops. Further east a blocked 4 centred arched doorway and aumbry and to the south a C13 trefoil headed piscina. Floor is richly tiled and marbled and the windows have fine C19 glass. Fittings. Fine panelled organ case by J. L. Pearson compleibnEs the screens, gilded reredos, brass sanctuary gates, panelled pulpit with perpendicular carvings and brass lectern. Tapering sided tub font with blank arcaded intersecting decoration having ornate domed C19 wooden font cover. Monuments. In north aisle a marble wall monument to Elizabeth Litchford, d.1698. Bust of the deceased and husband above a rectangular memorial plaque set in a classical aedicule with a segmental pediment adorned with obelisks, swags and putti. Also in the north aisle other late C18 and early C19 wall plaques to members of the Litchford family. On the south wall of the north aisle a brass in a moulded surround to Katherine Harrington, died 1623, of Boothby, with inscribed arms of the deceased's family. The church was restored to commemorate Cecil Thorold who died 1895.

Listing NGR: SK9718030835

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 97183 30833

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 05:19:13.