List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MEDARD

List entry Number: 1062772

Location

CHURCH OF ST MEDARD, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityLittle Bytham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE BYTHAM HIGH STREET TF 0l NW (north side)

9/195 church of St Medard (formerly 30.10.68 listed as Church of St Medardus)

G.V. I

Parish church. C10, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1590, 1875. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, nave, south aisle and porch, chancel. The early C13 3 stage tower has an offset to belfry stage and C15 embattled parapet, with pinnacles, frieze and gargoyles, with C14 recessed spire having 4 gabled 2 light lucarnes to lower stage and above similar single lights. In the west wall single lancets to the lower stages and to the belfry paired lights having octagonal shafts with stiff leaf capitals and moulded round arched surround. In the north nave wall a late C12 door with angle shafts, roll moulded opening with dogtooth and continuously moulded lozenge head with dogtoothed hood terminating in beasts' heads. Above, a reset stone with dancing human figure. Otherwise there are 2 early C15 3 light windows with cusped heads and panel tracery, and to the east a similar 2 light window. The C16 chancel east window is of 5 tall lights with concave chamfered 4 centred arched surround. The chancel south wall has an early C12 doorway with roll moulded surround, fillets and an outer flat order of drip carved ornament. The tympanum has low relief billet moulding, further chip carving and at the centre a deep circular recess flanked by roundels containing carvings of birds. The recess reputedly contained a relic of St. Medard to whom the church is dedicated. Immediately to the west is a 2 light C13 squint. The south eastern nave quoin is C10 and of long and short work. The late C13 east window to south aisle has intersecting tracery with moulded surround and hood and in the south wall are 3 C13 3 light windows with triangular moulded heads and hoods. The gabled early C13 south porch has rounded reveals to the outer doorway with collared shafts, annular capitals supporting a single chamfered arch. The inner moulded doorway is C15. Interior. The C12 3 bay south arcade has circular shafts, annular capitals, 2 with hobnail decoration, supporting single chamfered and stepped arches. The C12 tower arch has plain imposts and chamfered hood, terminating in beast heads. Above a round headed doorway. In the north wall of the nave is a pair of C13 niches with trilobed heads, surmounted by a further niche having an elaborately crocketed and floriated C14 gabled canopy. In the south aisle is a C13 piscina with side shafts and moulded trefoil head. C13 chancel arch. Single chamfered order, octagonal responds. In the chancel north wall a handsome early C14 canopied tomb recess with moulded arch, ballflower gable with crockets, flanked by crocketed gabled pinnacles with human heads. Late C19 double piscina in the south wall and behind the altar a contemporary reredos having central painted panel in ashlar frame. Fittings. 4 C14 bench ends, 2 with poppyheads. C14 font with octagonal bowl and shaft, with sacred monogram painted onto it. Stone base of pulpit is dated 1590 and inscribed "Orate et Arate" and "Pray and Plough". All other fittings are C19.

Listing NGR: TF0129318045

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 01293 18036

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 02:51:44.