List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. JAMES

List entry Number: 1062757

Location

CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, TEMPLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityAslackby and Laughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASLACKBY AND TEMPLE ROAD TF 03 SE LAUGHTON (north side) 3/15 Church of St. James 30.10.68 G.V. I

Parish church. c.1300, c.1320, mid C15, restored and chancel rebuilt 1856. Limestone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials, some lead. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, and chancel. Early C14 west tower partially clasped by north and south aisles, with moulded plinth and string course, and 3 stage angle buttresses, the north-west buttress containing stair turret with single slit and single round lights. The other buttresses have single gargoyles projecting from angle in between at corners. All the buttresses carry long, square shafts terminating in pinnacles. Pointed C14 west doorway with continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Large pointed blind opening above with roll moulded jambs and single small cusped openwork motifs in position of capitals. Late C15 window inserted with pointed head, bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed, cusped lights divided by 2 castellated transoms, panel tracery and hood mould running into string course on either side. Large, blind pointed openings on north and south sides, the latter possibly blocked at later date, and both broken into by the lean-to roofs of aisles below. North side with C15 coped and corbelled chimney stack inserted. Moulded string course defines bell stage. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights with quatrefoil above and hood mould. Clock inserted into south bell opening. Moulded eaves above with projecting gargoyles, battlements with corner pinnacles. North aisle of c.1300 with plinth and moulded string course. West end with pointed window with chamfered surround, Y tracery and hood mould. North side with blocked doorway to west with pointed head and continuous chamfered surround. Large pointed window to right with 2 pointed, cusped lights flanked by single sharply pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. 2 rectangular windows to left of doorway, each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights divided by 2 stage buttress with gabled setoff. Parapet above. Mid C15 clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating with 3 pairs of windows with segmental heads, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Chancel of 1856 with plinth and string course. North side with 2 plain lancets. East end with 2 stage diagonal buttresses and pointed 3 light window with intersecting tracery and hood mould. Monument re-set to east of window to Mary Skelton, died 1767. South side of chancel with 3 pointed windows with Y tracery. Pointed doorway below to left with continuous chamfered surround, hood mould running into string course and plank door. Early C14 south aisle with plinth and moulded string course. East end with pointed 3 light window with intersecting tracery and hood mould. South side with 2 rectangular windows, each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. Gabled C15 porch to west with plinth and moulded string course. Blocked pointed opening, in east and west sides with hood moulds running into string course. Pointed south doorway with semi-circular jambs with castellated capitals, moulded head and hood mould. Porch interior with flanking stone benches. Interior south doorway with pointed head, continuous keeled, roll moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Moulded eaves and parapet above with cross finial and corner pinnacles. South side of aisle west of porch with rectangular window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. Ashlar monument to left to Thomas Windsor, died 1799. West end of south aisle with pointed window with chamfered surround, Y tracery and hood mould. Crude C17 flowing cusped parapet runs along south side of aisle. C15 clerestory above with gabled and cusped pilaster buttresses alternating with 3 pairs of windows each with segmental head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above and diamond frieze containing shields, battlements above. To east a small octagonal turret with castellated top and squat, plain pinnacle with finial. Interior tower arch of c.1300 with tall triple chamfered pointed head with hood mould, triple rolled jambs with continuous hollows, moulded capitals and central filleted rolls. Tower interior's north and south walls with outline of tall pointed blocked openings with lower, shallow pointed relieving arches. Stair turret doorway to north west with pointed head, continuous moulded surround and plank door. 3 bay north and south aisles of c.1300 with pointed, moulded heads in 2 orders, with hood mould, quatrefoil piers with continuous hollows and broad fillets, tall octagonal plinths, moulded capitals and octagonal abaci. Chancel arch of c.1300 with triple chamfered, pointed head with hood mould, responds of triple rolls with continuous hollows, fillets, moulded capitals and polygonal abaci. C15 tie beam roof over nave with curved braces and stone corbels, restored in C19. South wall of south aisle with C14 piscina with ogee shaped cusped head. North east wall of south aisle with small pointed doorway with continuous moulded surround and plank door, with small pair of rectangular recesses to east. North aisle in north side of chancel pier with cusped, pointed piscina with moulded cornice with castellations and flower heads. Aumbry in north wall with wooden door. Chancel with rectangular aumbry in north wall. C19 wagon roof over chancel. C14 font with octagonal pedestal with curved re-entrant panels with flower head decoration, octagonal bowl with shields set in quatrefoiled panels and blind traceried panels alternating. C19 altar rails, pulpit, choir stalls, reading desk, eagle lectern and chairs. Monuments include a black and white marble monument to the Reverend Joseph Barwis, died 1828; a white marble oval to Colby Graves, died 1791; a black and white marble monument with urn to Samuel Newzam, died 1826; a white marble oval on single scrolled corbel, to Colby Graves, died 1799; a grey and white marble monument with urn and ornate apron, to Thomas Grey, died 1803; and a grey and white marble monument to Samuel Derby, died 1819.

Listing NGR: TF0853730394

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 08537 30394

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:38:12.