List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1062733

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityFolkingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOLKINGHAM CHURCH LANE TF 0633-0733 (north side) 2/63 Church of 30.10.68 St. Andrew G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, late C13, early C14, c.1435, late C15, restored 1825, 1858 by Kirk and Parry, and in 1860 by Edward Browning. Limestone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with finials, some plain tiles, some decorative ridge tiles. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber. C15 4 stage west tower clasped by C14 north and south aisles, with plinth and moulded string courses. Multi-stage clasping buttresses define tower with recessed, moulded angles and 8 slit stair lights to left of south-west buttress. West doorway of c.1435 with flattened triangular head, richly moulded jambs on high chamfered plinths, tympanum with 3 shields (originally depicting arms of John, Baron de Beaufort and his wife), flower heads and foliage, hood mould supported on single, slender flanking shafts with polygonal capitals, and plank door. 2 monuments to left of doorway; one, of slate to George Cooper, died 1798; the other of limestone with winged cherub head, to Thomas Cooper, died 1736. Slate monument on north buttress to John Cooper, died 1761. Moulded string course with large west window above flanked by single crocketed and finialled niches set in buttresses, with ornate, pierced pedestals to support statues no longer extant. West window with pointed head and richly moulded surround, 4 lights divided by transom and with ogee shaped heads, panel tracery and hood mould running into string course on each side. West and north sides with small, square cusped opening and south side with blocked square opening. Moulded string course above. Narrow, pointed opening on all 4 sides, each with 2 lights and transom, cusped, pointed heads, quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded string course defines bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pointed head divided into 2 pointed lights with Y tracery, each division in turn, divided into 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with transom, elongated quatrefoil and hood mould. South bell-opening blocked by clock of 1897. Moulded eaves above with friezewith cusped geometrical decoration above and below; projecting corner gargoyles. Single corbel head in centre of each side supports angle shaft rising to base of central pinnacle above; battlements and 16 ornate pinnacles in all. Early C14 north aisle with moulded plinth and string course, and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. West window with flattened triangular head and 3 cusped lights with flattened triangular heads, and hood mould. North side with 4 windows, that to the west with a flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights, withflattened triangular heads flanking central pointed head and hood mould. Rectangular window to east with 3 cusped ogee headed lights and cusped reticulated tracery. Window beyond with flattened triangular head with 3 cusped lights with central ogee headed light flanked by round headed lights, and flowing tracery. Rectangular window beyond to east with 3 cusped ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery. East end of north aisle with pointed opening blocked by C19 organ chamber. Moulded eaves and parapet. Clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating with 3 windows, each with a flattened triangular head and 3 richly cusped ogee headed lights. Moulded eaves above. Organ chamber of 1858 projecting slightly to left, with doorway to left with segmental head and panelled door. Rectangular window beyond with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights. Ironstone late C13 chancel with stone recording restoration of 1825. Moulded plinth, C19 east window with pointed head, 4 cusped lights, geometric tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with 2 windows, each of 2 pointed, cusped lights, that to right with pointed head and C19 tracery, that to left with semi-circular head and late C13 tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South aisle of nave with plinth and moulded string course. East end of C14 south aisle with rectangular window and 3 cusped ogee headed lights. South side with 2 rectangular windows, each of 3 cusped ogee headed lights, divided by a 2 stage buttress. Late C15 2 storey porch to west with moulded plinth and 2 moulded string courses. East side with first floor window with flattened triangular head and 3 cusped pointed lights. South side flanked by 2 stage diagonal buttresses. South doorway with moulded, flattened triangular head with hood mould, jambs with semi- circular flanking shafts with polygonal capitals. Window above with flattened triangular head and 3 cusped pointed lights, ornate empty niche and sundial above. Moulded eaves with gargoyles, battlements with central cross finial and flanking ornate pinnacles. West side with first floor projecting chimney stack with panel tracery; polygonal stair turret to left with moulded eaves, gargoyle and parapet. Oval slate monument set below to John Baily, 1839. Porch interior with flanking stone benches. Single shafts with moulded bases, in each corner, support tierceron rib vault with 4 shields. C14 south doorway with pointed, roll moulded head, flanking slender shafts with moulded capitals, defaced shields with arms of the Earls of Chester and of the Beaumont family, and plank doors. South side of aisle to west of porch with rectangular window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights. Large projecting stack to west with 3 ashlar monuments, the inscription of one, illegible, the others to John Lacey, died 1682 and Mary Lacey, died 1707. West side of south aisle with window with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights and hood mould. Clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating with 3 windows, each with a flattened triangular head and 3 richly cusped ogee headed lights. Moulded eaves above. Very tall interior tower arch of c.1435, open to north and south; all three archways with pointed, double chamfered heads, semi- circular jambs and polygonal capitals. Small staircase doorway to west with four centred head, chamfered surround and panelled door. Tower with cusped tierceron vault with central oculus. C14 3 bay north and south arcades with polygonal responds, octagonal piers and richly moulded pointed heads with hood moulds and human heads in spandrels. The central bays of each arcade mostly rebuilt in Cl9. Late C13 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. East end of north aisle with blocked, pointed opening. Small rectangular doorway in north side of wall projecting from north side of chancel arch, with chamfered surround and plank door. South aisle with C14 piscina with cusped, pointed head, hood mould with crockets and finial and large head label stops. Small sculptural fragment set in east wall of south aisle. Small doorway giving access to stairs leading to upper storey of porch, with four centred head, chamfered surround and plank door. Chancel arch with fine screen of c.1330 with 3 panels on each side of central pointed opening, lower panels of early flowing blind tracery and foliate decoration, upper openwork traceried panels with cusped ogee heads, tall crocketed finials and incipient panel tracery. Chancel with large late C12 north organ arch, probably a re-set chancel arch, with pointed double chamfered head; western jamb of 3 rolls with beaded scalloped capitals; semi-circular eastern jamb with fillet and moulded capital. Sedilia of c.1300 reduced from 3 openings in 1858, now with 2 trefoil headed openings, central shaft with cusped responds with rich foliate capitals. Piscina of c.1300 to east with cusped trefoiled head set under ogee hood mould with finial and large head label stops. Small rectangular aumbry between sedilia and piscina. C14 choir stalls with blind rich traceried panels with cusped ogee heads and rosettes. C18 font with fluted bowl and heavy baluster pedestal. Roofs of 1860. Second window from east in north side with 3 roundels of C15 stained glass with 3 golden haired heads. C19 pews, altar rail, pulpit and lectern. East window of north aisle with faint graffiti scratched in the stone of a design for a Decorated window. Remains of clock of 1690 in C16 chest. Fragmentary stocks and whipping post in south aisle. Monuments in chancel include one of slate to Isaac Cookson, died 1784; a grey and white marble monument to Elizabeth Cookson, died 1839; another in grey and white marble to Richard Tol ler, died 1751; a slate monument to Isaac Cookson, died 1797; another in slate to Elizabeth Blomfield, died 1854. Monuments in nave include one in inlaid marble and ashlar to John Rogeley, died 1780; another in black slate with white lettering to John Morrell, died 1781; an ashlar monument to William Lane, died 1705; a grey and white marble monument to Benjamin Smith, died 1807; a large slate monument with cherubs to George Sutton, died 1715, and family; a grey and white marble monument with urn, to Edward South, died 1813. 2 monuments above vestry, one of ashlar with urn, one of black and white marble with urn, both with illegible inscriptions.

Listing NGR: TF0712633731

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 07126 33731

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:37:47.