List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. JAMES

List entry Number: 1062680

Location

CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, CHURCHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityDeeping St. James

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 1409-1509 DEEPING ST. JAMES CHURCHGATE (north side)

14/70 Church of St. James 30.10.68

G.V. I

Former Benedictine Priory, now Parish church, founded from Thorney Abbey in 1139, C13, C14, C15, c.1730, 1819, 1830. Ashlar, coursed squared limestone rubble, Collyweston slate. Western tower, clerestoried nave, south aisle, porch, chancel. Tower of c.1730 altered in 1819, of 3 stages, in ashlar, with moulded plinth and string courses, clasping angle buttresses, and pierced arched balustrade. Recessed spire with lower 2 light lucarnes and similar upper single light lucarnes, on the principal sides. The belfry stage has 2 pairs of semi-circular headed lights, with stepped keyblocks. On the south side a semi- circular headed door with moulded imposts having stepped and fluted keyblocks. In the second stage a single circular opening and octagonal slate clock face. Beneath the parapet is inscribed "TJ 1819". In the west side is a 3 light window, with semi- circular heads to the lights and a keyblock to the over arch. On the north wall of the nave a late C12 string course with zigzag and chevron moulding marks the outer wall of the original church. One C14 window of 3 lights was partly blocked when massive stepped buttresses were added at the time the 3 large 3 light windows were inserted, all with panel tracery. The north wall of the chancel has 2 pairs of C14 cusped ogee lights and a doorway with ogee head and hood with floriate knop. The chancel east window is of 3 lights with cusped ogee heads. On the south side is a 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and flat hood and 2 early C13 single lights with rounded heads and shafts. To the east wall of the south aisle a pair of early C14 3 light windows with cusped ogee and trilobe heads and geometric heads. On the south side of the nave is a 4 light window under a wide moulded round arch and 5 pointed C15 3 light windows, all having cusped ogee tracery. They are separated by pilasters with gabled bases. In the west wall is a further C14 3 light window with flowing tracery. The gabled south porch, early C13, has steeply pointed outer doorway with clustered shafted reveals, annular capitals, moulded head, dogtooth hood and beast head terminals. Above the doorway is a C18 pedimented sundial. Side benches. C14 inner door with continuously moulded surround and hood. Over the door a Roccoco wall slab to Ann Buck, d.1752. Interior. 7 bay south arcade, late C12, with quatrefoil piers with keeled shafts to the angles, square abaci, plain capitals apart from the 2 pelleted jewelled cushion capitals to the west. Deeply rolled and moulded semi-circular arches and hoods. At 2 points are the remains of what appear to be the springing of transverse arches. Above is a triforium of 13 bays having keeled half shafts and moulded pointed heads. In the alternating bays are single clerestory lancets. On the north side is a single contemporary blocked arch. The 3 C15 north nave windows have rounded rear C13 arches with angle shafts. At the west end of the nave is a C18 rounded doorway with above a contemporary window. The tie beam of the nave roof is dated 1830. In the south aisle the corbel table of the mid C12 nave can be seen. At the east end of the south aisle is a late C13 cusped trefoil headed piscina and an aumbry. In the east wall a further pointed headed piscina and an early C13 aumbry with hobnail hood in north wall.. In the chancel south wall are 6 chamfered and rounded arches, springing from annular corbels with conical bases probably sedilia. Beyond is an early C13 double piscina, with mid shaft and a Tudor arched doorway. Above are 3 fine early C13 rear arches with clustered shafts to the reveals, dogtoothing and stiff leaf capitals, all with elaborately moulded arches. Fittings. Large early C12 tub font with intersecting blank arcading to the sides, with fine C18 inlaid octagonal cover with contemporary wrought iron suspension chain. C18 hud or graveside shelter with shaped roof and semi-circular arched opening with impost and fluted keyblock. Monuments. In the chancel an early C13 recumbent effigy of a knight having dogtoothing to the sides, and a worn C14 coped effigy depicting a recumbent figure beneath a crocketed and pinnacled canopy, with decorative coverlet, feet resting on an animal. In the south aisle are 2 late C18 wall plaques.

Listing NGR: TF1575109592

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 15751 09592

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:05:40.