List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. FAITH

List entry Number: 1062675

Location

CHURCH OF ST. FAITH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBraceborough and Wilsthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194436

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 01 SE BRACEBOROUGH WILSTHORPE AND WILSTHORPE 5/53 Church of St. Faith 30.10.68

- II*

Parish church. 1715, restored and altered by James Fowler, 1869. Ashlar, Collyweston and lead roofs. Nave, western upper tower and spire, chancel, south vestry. Moulded plinth, frieze, cornice. The west end has fluted angle pilasters, to a triglyph frieze with guttae, pierced parapet with semi-circular headed arches, and angle obelisks on the base of which is the date 1715. The tower has rusticated fluted quoins and a slate hung C19 broach spire. To each side is a single 2 light windowwith annular mid shaft and foliate decoration key and impost blocks to the semi-circular arched surround and circular holes to the tympanum. Double 6 panelled doors with wooden fan above set in a moulded elliptical headed arch, to either side are pilasters with moulded imposts supporting paired scrolled brackets to a segmental open pediment. Above a sexfoil window in a moulded surround. The nave side walls have 4 two light Cl9 windows with annular shafts and cinquefoils set in the early C18 semi-circular headed moulded architraves with key and impost blocks. The chancel is blank on the sides but has rusticated quoins. In the east end is a 3 light C19 window also in an earlier semi-circular headed surround. On the south side an added vestry in Norman style with 2 light window in south side. Interior. Western gallery in the base of the tower, semi-circular headed arch to first floor, with barley sugar balusters to handrail. The nave roof has chamfered and moulded principals supported on scrolled wooden corbels. Chancel arch is semi-circular with moulded imposts and jewelled keystone. In the south wall a Norman style round headed vestry doorway with plain imposts, and the chancel roof is supported on stone corbels decorated with palmettes in Romanesque style. Fittings. Handsome barley sugar twist communion rails with moulded handrail. All other fittings are C19 except for the moulded and fluted shallow octagonal font which has an octagonal stem to a tapering square base. Monuments. In the sanctuary a late C13 but recut effigy of a knight in chain mail with decorated surcourt, feet resting on a dog. On the south wall of the nave a marble wall plaque to Curtis family, 1759, by E. Bingham of Peterborough, a pediment, angels, books and a rectangular inscription panel with escutcheon beneath.

Listing NGR: TF0922513647

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 09225 13647

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 05:15:18.