List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST FIRMIN

List entry Number: 1062615

Location

CHURCH OF ST FIRMIN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityThurlby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194592

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 11 NW THURLBY CHURCH STREET (south side) 3/207 Church of 30.10.68 St. Firmin

I

Parish church. Cll, C12, c.1200, early C13, C14, C15. Restored 1856. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, north and south chapels and porches, chancel. 3 stage tower with long and short quoins to south west angle. Some herringbone work to the middle stage. Plain parapet with fleuron frieze, recessed C14 spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. To the belfry stage are paired 2 light C14 windows with cusped ogee heads. In the west wall a trefoil headed lancet has to the left a C19 2 light window and to the right a similar round headed light with above a circular quatrefoil. The north aisle is embattled and has a single plain light and beyond the porch are 2 C15 3 light windows, one with panel tracery and a decorated buttress. The gabled porch has a double chamfered outer arch with shafted reveals, side benches and a chamfered inner order. In the transept north wall is a further C15 triple light, and in the north chapel are 2 C14 2 light windows with cambered heads and cusped tracery and a pointed doorway with continuously moulded pointed surround and to the east a similar 3 light window. The nave clerestory has 4 paired C14 cusped lights. In the north wall of the chancel is an early C13 lancet. The east wall has a large 5 light window with panel tracery and wave moulded surround. In the south wall are 2 further lancets and in the south chapel are C15 lights, a paired one to the east and a triple to the south, with a single early C13 lancet, a plain light and above a 2 light transomed window. In the south transept is a C15 3 light window to the gable, with 2 further similar windows in the south aisle wall and a plain light beyond the porch. The gabled C13 south porch has a continuously moulded outer arch with flanking stepped buttresses and above a trefoil headed niche. The inner door is late C12, stepped orders and nook shafts. Interior. 4 bay late C12 nave arcades having round piers scalloped and octagonal capitals, chamfered and stepped arches. Tower arch originally Cll with chamfered imposts but late in C12 a chamfered and stepped smaller arch was inserted with shafted reveals, that to the south with a collar. Above an offset and blocked Cll triangular headed doorway. C16 tie beam roof with diagonal braces to the wall posts and through purlins. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with annular responds and capitals, and to the north a pointed doorway to the rood loft. The transepts have continuous shafted arcades to blank niches in the west walls, pointed and chamfered to the south and trefoiled to the north. In the north transept east wall a round headed roll moulded blank arched recess, and to the south a similar pointed archway with beyond a trefoil headed piscina. Also in the transepts are double chamfered round arches into eastern chapels. In the chancel side walls are double chamfered round arches into the flanking chapels. In the south wall is a late C12 dogtoothed sedilia, with beyond a pointed arch and a piscina with moulded trefoil head and paired side shafts. In the north wall is an aumbry and to north and south are squints to the altar from the side chapels. In the north chapel is a chamfered pointed arched piscina adapted as a squint and in the east wall a second piscina with moulded pointed surround. In the south chapel evidence of a possible Anchorite's cell is provided by a mullioned and transomed window at first floor level. C15 stained glass in south transept south window. C19 glass - one by Baillie. Fittings. 2 sets of fine C17 altar rails, in the chancel with turned vasiform balusters and knopped newels, in the north chapel also, turned with bobbin stems. C15 oak parclose screen to south chapel having moulded principles and pierced cusped panel tracery to the lights. C12 tub font with octagonal shaft and ribbed sides terminating in anthropomorphic capitals. Medieval ladder in tower. Monuments. In the chancel south wall a small slate wall plaque to James Trollope, d.1709, inscription panel has cornice supported on composite capitals with side scrolls. Above a scrolled escutcheon.

Listing NGR: TF1050316800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 10505 16802

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:52:05.