List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB

List entry Number: 1062584

Location

OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB, WEST DERBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3691 WEST DERBY ROAD L6

24/1351 Olympia Social Club (formerly listed as the 14.3.75. Locarno)

- II*

Music hall, now bingo hall. 1903. Frank Matcham. Brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Curved symmetrical facade of 4 storeys and 15 bays. Plastered ground floor, pilasters, top entablature and high parapet. Central 5 bays have C20 entrances and canopy. Flanking 5 bays have shop windows flanked by doors. End 2 bays have round-headed entrances. 1st and 2nd floors have laced windows in architraves with panels between floors. 3-bay centre has 1st floor windows and are hidden by boarding (1984); 2nd floor loggia with distyle Ionic colonnade in antis on balustraded balcony. 3rd to 5th and 11th to 13th bays have 3rd floor windows in flat shouldered architraves with pediments, other bays have round windows. Low stone parapet over end bays, parapet over 3rd to 13th bays has stucco panels with lettering "MECCA" and "LOCARNO" flanking traceried lunette with flanking pilasters and ramped parapets, truncated pyramidal roof. Interior has rich decoration. Proscenium arch is flat, with blind arcading; stage removed. Flanking bowed boxes with Moorish ogee arches and onion half-domes. Splayed side walls have panels on 2 levels with cusped blind arches and Moorish decoration; 2 panels to lower level, 3 above, with elephant's heads to top. 3 circles with Moorish panelling. Fairly plain panelled ceiling. A well preserved example of the work of the foremost Edwardian theatre architect.

Listing NGR: SJ3645091364

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 36450 91364

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:08:17.