List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROUGHAM TERRACE

List entry Number: 1062583

Location

BROUGHAM TERRACE, 8, 9 AND 10, WEST DERBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359729

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LIVERPOOL

392/24/175 WEST DERBY ROAD 19-JUN-85 8, 9 AND 10 BROUGHAM TERRACE

II A terrace of 3 houses, one later converted for use as a mosque, and all later adapted for office use. c.1830, the mosque created in No.8 in 1887, and conversion to offices in the early C20. The mosque created by William Henry Quilliam, solicitor, of Liverpool, in 1887. Red/brown brick with channelled and lined out stucco finish to front elevation, stone dressings, eaves cornice, shallow parapet and slate roof covering with wide brick stacks. PLAN: Linear range of 3 dwellings now attached to late C19 public building. EXTERIOR: Front elevation of 3 storeys above basements, 6 bays, each dwelling with entrance doorway to right and single wide ground floor window placed centrally between 2 doorways within channelled stucco facing to ground floor. The windows have sash frames, that to No.8 without glazing bars, the other openings with 4 over 4 pane sashes. Each doorway has a moulded set below a shallow bracketed hood. 4-panel doors with rectangular overlights, the door to No.9 retaining original door with fielded panels, and No.8 with original margin glazed overlight. Other openings have C20 replacement joinery. Approach to doorways are low flights of 4 steps, flanked by ramped railings on low plinth walls which are extended to enclose basement steps and frontages. Plain sill band to tall first floor windows with 6 over 9 pane sash frames. Upper floor with lower 3 over 6 pane sashes. Rear elevation with similar pattern of openings beneath wedge lintels in brick walling, many window openings now overboarded, but with some glazing bar sash frames visible. Shallow lean-to extensions extending to first floor level to bays 2 and 5. INTERIOR: Not inspected, but window shutters with panelled reveals and moulded plaster cornices visible from exterior. HISTORY: Brougham Terrace (named after the noted Whig politician and lawyer, Henry Brougham, who was created 1st Baron of Brougham and Vaux in 1830 - a likely terminus post quem for the row)is notable for being the location of what is believed to be England's earliest mosque. A Liverpool solicitor, William Henry Quilliam (1856-1933) who had converted to Islam after extensive travel in the territories of the former Ottoman Empire, created the mosque for English-speaking Muslims in Liverpool in 1887 at No.8 Brougham Terrace together with an Institute. At its peak, the mosque served a congregation of 150. Quilliam, who became Sheikh-Ul-Islam Abdullah Quilliam, also founded Islamic boarding schools for boys and day schools for girls. The interior of the building at Brougham terrace was adapted for Muslim worship, with the creation of the Mihrab or niche indicating the direction of Mecca at the east end of the mosque, and the Mimbar, or pulpit for addressing the congregation. The call to prayer was carried out from a first floor balcony, now removed. Nos. 8, 9 and 10 Brougham Terrace form an early C19 terrace of substantial 3 storey houses, retaining much of its original architectural character, and is the location for what is believed to be England's first mosque, established in 1887 by the Liverpool solicitor William Henry Quilliam. Brougham Terrace is thus of both special historical and architectural interest, as an example of Liverpool's capacity to embrace different cultural and faith communities, and is further historical evidence of the social and cultural diversity and tolerance which developed as a consequence of the city's function as an internationally significant seaport and trading centre.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 36254 91249

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:48:18.