List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1062370

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityDenton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENTON CHURCH STREET SK 8632-8732 (south side) 10/45 Church of St.Andrew 20.9.66 G.V. I Parish church. c.1200, c.1300, C14, C15, C16, restoration of 1887-8 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, tower restored 1904, by Mr. Weir, architect. Squared ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings, lead roofs behind battlemented parapets throughout. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, north chapel, south porch, chancel. The tall C15 5 stage tower has stepped corner buttresses terminating in octagonal pinnacles, bell moulded plinth, 4 chamfered string courses, quatrefoil frieze with coved cornice to parapet decorated with rosettes and animal heads, grotesque spout to south side. To the belfry stage on all 4 sides a pair of 2 light louvred openings with trefoil heads and quatrefoils over, and in the stage below a pair of blank openings with cinquefoil heads, the centre of the openings pierced by quatrefoils. On the south side of the tower a stair turret in the angle, has a C19 pointed doorway at the base and 2 narrow stair lights above. To the second stage of the tower a trefoil headed crocketed and pinnacled niche with star vault andto the third stage a rectangular light. The double concave moulded and pointed west door with hood is flanked by single niches matching that on the south. The 4 light west window above has concave moulded surround with 4 centred arched head, recut tracery with brattished transom and ogee heads to the lights with flowing traceried panels. Above a rectangular light. On the north side a further niche and rectangular light. The north aisle is one bay east of the tower and a C14 2 light clerestory window is exposed in the nave wall. The remaining 4 clerestory windows are concealed behind the south aisle parapet. The north aisle has 5 stepped buttresses, chamfered and roll moulded plinth. The C15 west window is of 3 lights with 4 centred heads to the lights, set in chamfered surround with hood mould. At high level is a projecting cut stone possibly relating to an earlier arcade. The pointed early C13 north doorway has a chamfered and concave moulded surround with hood and human head label stops. To the east are a pair of late C13 3 light windows with intersecting tracery, hood moulds with human head stops and in the north chapel a C16 3 light window with deeply cut concave surround, 4 centred arched head and cusped heads to the lights. In the east end a large C16 3 light window with double concave and roll moulded surround and flat head. The C15 4 light chancel east window has ogee and panel tracery with brattished half transom set in moulded surround with steep 4 centred arched head. The south side has 3 C15 3 light windows with ogee heads and panel tracery. The nave clerestory has 5 C14 windows as north side. The C15 south aisle has stepped buttresses with cusped gablettes and a bell moulded plinth. The west and east windows are of 3 lights with 4 centred arched surround, ogee heads to the lights and panel tracery. On the south side are 3 three light windows with ogee heads to the lights, set in moulded surrounds, with hood moulds and human head stops. The south porch, dated 1901, has battlemented parapet, pointed outer doorway with angle shafts, 3 light side windows and benches. The C14 pointed inner doorway has double concave moulded pointed head with concave moulded responds and imposts. the hood mould has lion mask stops. Interior. C15 4 bay north arcade and 5 bay south arcade with octagonal piers and responds, brattished capitals, double chamfered arches with hood moulds and human head stops. The bases are bell moulded and decorated, but 2 north arcade bases are of c.1200 form. The tall tower arch has matching octagonal responds and imposts and double chamfered arch. The chancel arch is also similar with hood mould having lion mask stops. Beside the arch on the north side, the opening for the rood loft. In the south aisle an ogee headed piscina. The C15 nave roof has cambered and moulded tie beams on human head and lion mask corbels. The north chancel 2 bay arcade matches those of the nave. In the sanctuary a C14 piscina and 3 seat sedilia with ogee heads and floriate terminals. The piscina basin is supported on a short octagonal pier and has a central rosette and radiating channels. The north aisle and chapel roofs have moulded principals with bosses and angel figures. Original stained glass fragments in chancel south window and adjoining one is by Kempe dated 1901. Fittings. The oak screen has ogee headed central opening, with a pair of 2 light panels to each side surmounted by coved and brattished top. The altar rails are C17 turned balusters with moulded rail and square newels. The elaborate organ case is dated 1887 by Bentley. The C15 octagonal font has rosettes and lion masks in quatrefoil panels and is set on an octagonal pillar decorated with rosettes. All other fittings are C19, except the reredos of 1911. Monuments. In the chancel a C14 figure of a priest, partly sunk into a slab, with ogee headed surround. In the north chapel 2 worn C15 ledger slabs. In the south aisle a wall monument to Johannes Blyth, d.1602, in ashlar. The latin raised letter inscription is set in an egg and dart surround, flanked by Ionic pilasters and free standing Composite fluted columns, supporting a pediment containing a pair of naked female figures holding hour glasses leaning on a skull. The frieze is decorated with medallions. The reclining figure of the deceased his prayer book in hand lies on a half rolled up mattress on a tomb chest on which are portrayed his wife and 6 children, all named in raised letters. At the end of the chest a full coat of arms. In the north aisle a marble wall monument to Richard Welby of 1714 by Thomas Green of Camberwell. The fully wigged standing life sized figure of the deceased stands in an arched surround flanked by fluted pilasters with acanthus scrolls and broken segmental pediment contaning a cherub and putti leaning down from heaven holding a metal coronet, surmounted by an achievement. Beneath is the inscription panel and to either side putti holding memento mori, and mourning, one with tears. Also in the north aisle 3 C18 marble wall plaques to members of the Welby family, and a large white marble wall plaque containing a long inscription recording the history of the Williams and Gregory families, by Susannah Gregory who died in 1755 aged 84. By Thomas Taylor. At the foot a skull, bats wings, eternal serpent, hour glass.

Listing NGR: SK8654332517

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 86544 32515

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:29:28.