List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1062247

Location

NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL, BROAD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityStamford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1671 BROAD STREET (North Side) No 4 (Brown's Hospital) 22.5.54. Chapel and Hall. - All the other buildings at Brown's Hospital. TF 0207 1/54 II GV 2. Almshouses of circa 1480, partly rebuilt 1870 by J Fowler. Elevation to street is of C15 chapel, with stone-stepped entrance to porch at west end and hall on lst floor. 2 storeys, coursed rubble with stone dressings. 4 bays divided by small buttresses. Each bay has a ground floor window of one light, and lst floor window of 2 lights, in a 4-centred arch with mullions, transoms and cusping. Moulded labels to all windows. The 2 most easterly windows are of 3 and 4 lights, with a 2nd transom and segmental arches. The most easterly contains good contemporary glass. A modern extension beyond the east end. The interior has completely rebuilt almshouses facing into a small court, all of late C19 1870 date, and in the 'Gothic' manner.

No 1, Railings and terrce to No 1, No 2, Wall and gate to No 2, Nos 3, 4, Warden's House to No 4 and Nos 5 +to 11 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0295707286

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 02957 07286

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:00:57.