List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1061836

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBurton Pedwardine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURTON PEDWARDINE MAIN STREET TF 14 SW (south side) 6/16 Church of St. Andrew 1/2/67 II

Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, rebuilt apart from north transept 1870-1 by Charles Kirk. Limestone ashlar, slate roofs. Nave with bellcote, chancel, north transept. West wall of nave has a 3 light window with cusped geometric tracery to the head. At the gable is a square bellcote with openwork sides and crocketted pinnacle. In the north nave wall are 3 lancets with trefoil heads to the lights and wave moulded surrounds. In the west wall of the north transept is a blocked C13 arch. Otherwise the transept has stepped C14 setback buttresses with niches and crocketted ogee canopies. The north window is of 3 lights with C19 geometric tracery. In the east wall is a 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a pointed wave moulded surround. C19 chancel east window of 3 lights with geometric tracery. The 2 windows on the south side of the nave match those to the north, and there is a C19 pointed moulded doorway with angle shafts having annular capitals. Interior: C19 pointed chancel arch with engaged shafted reveals, annular capitals and double chamfered head. In the sanctuary is a plain stone side bench supported on stone brackets, and on the north side is a section of large reused C14 moulded octagonal pillar base with engaged shafts. In the north wall of the chancel is a chamfered 4 centred arched doorway to the north transept. Fittings: C19 circular tapering tub font. In the west wall of the nave are set 5 sections of C10 two strand interlace carving, a voluted Cll capital and a section of 'jews harp' moulded hood. Also 2 early C13 hobnail decorated octagonal capitals. Monuments: in the north wall of the north transept is a C14 recess with moulded head and human head stops containing the ledger slab to Alis de Pedwardyn, d.1330, showing head of deceased flanked by shields and marginal inscription. On the east wall a corbel supports a rectangular limestone plaque to William Yorke, d.1689, with guilloched borders. On the west wall a fine alabaster monument to Sir Thomas Horseman, d.1610. A fine sideboard tomb with deceased lying in full plate armour, head on a cushion, with beneath a plain pilastered tomb chest with gadrooned top and above a pair of semi-circular arches over inscription panels, flanked by single Corinthian columns supporting a plain entablature with armorial escutcheon.

Listing NGR: TF1193542097

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11935 42097

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:16:40.