List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1061832

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityAsgarby and Howell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192554

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASGARBY AND HOWELL ASGARBY TF 14 NW 3/8 Church of St. Andrew 1/2/67 G.V. I

Parish church. C13, early C14, C15, restored 1870. Limestone ashlar, slate, plain tiled and lead roofs, west tower, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with chamfered plinth and string courses, plain parapet with cusped frieze with shields beneath and crocketted angle pinnacles. Set back spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions and crockets. In the belfry stage are tall 2 light louvered openings with panel traceried heads and continuously moulded surrounds. To the west is a narrow 2 light window, cusped panel tracery and chamfered surround. The late C14 north aisle has stepped buttresses and a slate roof with raised stone caped gables. To the west is a 2 light panel traceried window with trefoil heads to the lights and a hollow moulded surround. To the north is a low doorway, 4 centred arched head and continuously moulded surround. 2 windows have cusped heads, glazed spandrels and square double chamfered surrounds. The C15 embattled clerestorey is of 4 three light windows with roll moulded mullions, trefoil heads and hollow moulded rectangular surrounds. The chancel has a chamfered plinth and a plain parapet. To the north is a 2 light C14 window, pointed with panel tracery and chamfered surround. C15 east window, restored in the C19, of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery, chamfered surround. In the east wall of the nave is a 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights and a 4 centred arched surround. The south side of the chancel has 2 windows matching that to the north and a narrow pointed doorway. The Cl4 south aisle has a moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and a slate roof with raised stone caped gables. It has a 3 light C14 reticulated traceried east window with cusped ogee heads and a wave moulded 4 centred arch surround. On the south side are 2 matching 2 light windows and there is a similar window to the west. The clerestorey matches the north side. Gabled south porch with stepped angle buttresses, plain parapet, scalloped C18 angle obelisks and in the gable the initials IRL in Lombradic script. The outer doorway is pointed with a moulded surround and octagonal imposts. Side benches. The C14 inner doorway is also pointed with a continuously moulded surround. C18 6 panelled door with moulded styles and muntins. Interior: The 3 bay nave arcades are of quatrefoil plan with fillets. Annular capitals and tall double chamfered arches. The tall tower arch has triple engaged shafted reveals, engaged annular capitals and a triple chamfered arch. Above is a section of C18 wall painting depicting crossed bones and the texts, 'Redeem the Time' and 'Prepare to Die'. The double shafted engaged reveals of the chancel arch are filleted and have annular capitals supporting a double chamfered arch. To the south side is a doorway to the rood loft and in the south aisle a further 4 centred arched doorway to the stairs. In the north aisle are two ogee headed piscinas, 2 statue brackets and on the north wall a C15 wall painting of a kneeling robed figure with scrolled text on a deep red ground spangled with white flowers. In the chancel is a trefoil headed piscina and on the east wall 2 statue brackets, one with a human head to the underside. Fittings: All C19 apart from an iron bound oak chest in the south aisle and a C14 plain octagonal font. Monuments: In the tower is a limestone wall plaque to William Stennett, d.1767 with cherub, flower garlands and shell. In the chancel north wall a square limestone pointed plaque to Cicily Sutton, d.1680, with epitaph and memento mori. On the south wall is a small brass plaque to Charles Butler, d.1603 aged 8 years, a shield of arms above the Latin inscription panel. On the north wall is a C17 lozenge shaped hatchment.

Listing NGR: TF1162545388

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11627 45389

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:16:42.