List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1061749

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthoritySouth Kyme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192770

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 14 NE SOUTH KYME CHURCH LANE

7/13 Church of St Mary and All Saints 1.2.67 GV II*

Parish church, former Augustinian Priory founded before 1196. Cll, C14, restored and largely rebuilt 1890 by Hodgson Fowler. Single cell, 4-bay church with nave occupying western 3 bays, the chancel is marked by a buttress, plus a south porch. Ashlar with a steeply pitched plain tile roof, ashlar coped gables with a cross-finial over the east gable and a bellcote over the west. Deeply moulded and chamfered plinth. West wall has 2 gabled buttresses delineating the former south aisle, with a moulded sill band under a 2-light pointed arch window with Curvilinear tracery and a square niche, the former bottom corner of the nave west window. The gable is surmounted by an ashlar bellcote with moulded bands and a round-headed arch topped by an ogee pyramid. The north wall has 2 buttresses with set-offs and a kill gabled lateral stick, plus 2 tall, 2-light lancets and a pointed arch doorway. The east wall has a sill band below a 5-light, 4-centred arch window with Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould, plus diagonal buttresses. South wall has a deep, shallow arched tomb recess to the east, and 3 tall, 3-light pointed arch windows with Curvilinear tracery, plus a gabled buttress with an elaborate ogee-headed niche. Projecting gabled porch with coped gable and cross finial, gabled buttresses and a pointed archway with a moulded double chamfered arch, and single shaft piers. Above, a gabled elaborate ogee-headed nich contain- ing a Coronation of the Virgin. Inner doorway has an elaborate round-arched door- way with double arches decorated with lozenges broken round the angle of a mould- ing, and 2 orders of shafts with scalloped and volute capitals. Interior has a single triple shafted, keeled respond to the former nave arcade. Ashlar octagonal bowl and stem font. C19 wooden pews and pulpit. Wooden rood screen, choir stalls, organ case, altar and reredos. In the eastern corner of the north wall, are 6 pieces of important C8, Saxon interlace, decorated carving. West wall has a good wall monument to Marmeduke Dickinson, 1711, with a curved surround, of a single figure each side and segmental pediment containing a cherub's head and wings. North wall has 8 black and white marble wall tablets to the Peacock family, and the south wall 3 similar marble wall tablets to the Cust family.

Listing NGR: TF1685449788

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 16854 49788

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 02:32:45.