List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCRAPTOFT HALL

List entry Number: 1061724

Location

SCRAPTOFT HALL, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityScraptoft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCRAPTOFT SK60 NW CHURCH HILL (East Side)

1/81 Scraptoft Hall

19.10.51

GV II*

Country house, part of Leicester Polytechnic at time of listing. Dated 1723, but with C17 core, and rear wing of 1896. Ashlar entrance front, otherwise rendered and whitewashed elevations with stone dressings and quoins and parapetted and Swithland slate roofs. Rendered ridge and side stacks only visible on rear wing. Fine entrance front of 3 storeys and basement of 5 6/6 sash windows. Moulded stone frames with keystones and aprons. Central 2nd floor window has rounded arch. On ground floor up a flight of 6 stone steps the central painted moulded stone doorcase. Keystone, and open curved pediment supported on carved consoles. 8-panelled door and overlight, the glazing bars forming a fanlight. To either side a giant order reaching to top of 1st floor. A single fluted Corinthian pilaster with entablature. .Above this a pilaster strip continues to parapet. This curves up slightly at the central section and at the corners. Here rusticated quoins as if a pilaster strip. To right of doorway, in basement, a pair of 1-light windows, otherwise blocked openings. Garden front, to right, is similar but with rendered elevation and no giant order. To right the 1896 1 storey wing with canted bay and 6/9 sashes. The left front is similar to the garden front but the stone frames to the windows have cambered tops. Here also a large C20 rounded bay window. Inside are a black and white marble floor in the entrance hall, a probably contemporary oak staircase with turned balusters (3 to the tread), C18 panelling, and C17 stone fireplaces (with four-centred arches) and stone mullion window, probably from the earlier house. Scraptoft Hall was 'built, or rather, considerably enlarged' by Letetia, widow of Sir Edward Wigley. V.C.H., Vol. V and Pevsner.



Listing NGR: SK6484705654

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1960

National Grid Reference: SK 64847 05654

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 09:56:36.