List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1061661

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityAllexton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190904

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALLEXTON

SK 80 SW

1/2 Church of St. Peter

29.12.66 GV II*

Church. C12 - C13 and C15, much restored 1862/3 including new roof and aisles. Coursed squared stone and rubble stone and stone dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables. Buttresses, some with set-offs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, and N chancel porch. C15 tower of 2 stages with W buttresses, W window, blocked S arch and blocked window within. SW staircase has W loopholes and projects to S. 4 2-light bell openings, W with later transom. Battlements and small, low, recessed, leaded spirelet with weathervane. Blocked double chamfered nave arch with door. Late Norman 2 bay N arcade carefully rebuilt 1862. Arches with roll and zig-zag mouldings. Round pier with capitals and responds with lobed frieze to capitals. 2 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier. 2 2-light dormers to C19 roof of 2 bays and ½ bay at either end. Curved braces to collars. N aisle has windows with plate tracery, one with fragments of medieval glass. Many-moulded chancel arch, also rebuilt. Chancel has 2 windows to N and S, both to E flat-topped. E window of 1862 with Decorated tracery. C19 stained glass. Gabled porch to vestry, probably of 1862, with flat-topped doorway. Window with fragments of medieval stained glass. Chancel roof similar to nave. Chancel also has small N 1-light, N doorway, and S piscina. S aisle has 1-light windows to W and E and flat-topped 3-light to S. Many-moulded S doorway with a shaft either side. To either side a medieval carved stone lion couchant on plinth. Both aisles rebuilt 1862/3 after being pulled down late C16. C15 font. Pevsner, and White's Leicestershire and Rutland 1877.

Listing NGR: SK8176200407

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1877 - Journal Title: Whites Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984

National Grid Reference: SK 81762 00407

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 11:57:18.