List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1061596

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityGreat Glen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191050

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT GLEN SP 69 NE CHURCH ROAD 3/28 (South Side) Church of St. Cuthbert 26.12.66 GV II* Church. C14 tower,rest restored and much rebuilt 1876. Restoration and rebuilding by Carpenter and Ingelow of London. Ashlar rubble stone and granite rubble stone. Plain tile roof with stone coped gables, finials, ornamental ridge tiles and N aisle stone stack. Angle buttresses with set-offs and hood moulds mostly with head stops. W tower, nave, N aisle, chancel, N chancel vestry and S porch. C14 ashlar tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs, 2-light W window, triangular W window on 2nd stage, with S bull's eye window and N and S clock faces, 4 2-light bell openings with Y or Reticulated tracery, and battlements. Triple chamfered nave arch, the outer 2 continuing to ground, the inner on polygonal responds. 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on keeled quatrefoil piers and keeled responds. 3 S windows with Y or Intersected tracery. C19 5 bay wagon roof. N aisle has windows with Y or Intersected tracery, N door, piscina and NE window with stained glass of 1926 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Rood screen doorway. Many moulded chancel arch on demi-quatrefoil responds. Chancel has windows with Y or Intersected tracery, S door, C19 piscina and E window with stained glass of 1910 probably also by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. C19 wagon roof. S porch has many moulded arch on shafted responds. Probably C12 round font. V.C.H., Vol.V and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP6522097772

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1960

National Grid Reference: SP 65229 97772

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 11:07:13.