List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1061583

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityTur Langton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TUR LANGTON HIGH STREET (South Side) SP79 SW 7/104 7.12.66 Church of St. Andrew G V II* Church. 1865/6. By Joseph Goddard of Leicester. Red brick with stone dressings and dark blue brick string courses. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables and finials. Decoration both outside and inside in cut brick and dark blue brick. In the Early English style. N W tower and spire, nave, N aisle, chancel and S chancel vestry. Tower of 3 storeys with angle buttresses, N.W. doorway, paired lancets on 2nd stage with small round window over, and 4 shafted triple lancet bell openings. Moulded and cut brick frieze. Broach spire with 1 tier of lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Large W window with lancets and rose window over. Plate tracery and stained glass of 1877. 4 bay N arcade, the arches with cut brick decoration, on circular piers. N clerestory of small quatrefoil windows. 5 3-light S windows with plate tracery. 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. N aisle has paired lancet windows. Semi-circular chancel apse with lancets filled with stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Wagon roof to chancel, the braces round the apse supported on shafts and stone corbels. S. chancel vestry with lean-to roof. N chancel organ chamber. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V.

Listing NGR: SP7136094542

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SP 71360 94542

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 07:00:05.