List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1061581

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityShangton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHANGTON SP79 NW 4/96 7.12.66 Church of St. Nicholas GV II* C13-C15, 1863 and 1874. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and leaded, Swithland slate and Welsh slate roofs. Stone coped gables with finials. Nave with W. bellcote, chancel, N. vestry, and S. porch. Nave has buttresses with set-offs and flat-topped Perp. windows. W. 2-light with tiny 1-light to S. over. Gabled bellcote with 2 rounded arches and bells. N. 2-light, doorway, and 3-light. 2 S. 3-lights, that to E. with foliage label stops to hood mould. S. doorway with stepped arch. Mainly C19/C20 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch (triple to E.), the inner on polygonal responds. N. vestry and organ chamber of 1874 with arch of same date to chancel. E. wall of chancel rebuilt 1863 and has window with Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1877 by Heaton and Butler. 2 S. windows, E. with Curvilinear tracery and C19 stained glass. Aumbry. C19 2 bay roof. S. porch has doorway with single chamfered arch. Late C14/C15 octagonal font. Frieze of quatrefoils reset as reredos. Marble wall monument erected by Matthew Saunders, 1612, to wife Margaret, died 1605. Strapwork and flanking columns. Their tomb slabs are immediately W. of altar. Possibly some medieval work in fragment of mainly C19 screen standing at W. end. V.C.H., Vol. V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP7153896001

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SP 71538 96001

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 11:22:35.