List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1061557

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, OLD MILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityBroughton Astley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON ASTLEY OLD MILL ROAD (West Side) SP59 SW 3/10 Church of St. Mary 11.1.55 GV II*

Parish Church. Largely early C14 though the chancel is earlier, and the spire is Perpendicular. The Church was restored in 1882 by W. Bassett-Smith of London. Random granite rubble with limestone dressings and Swithland slate roofs. West tower and spire, nave and large north aisle, chancel. Tower is a massively squat structure, with angle buttresses and two stages with embattled parapet with corbel-table and recessed later spire with small lucarnes. The paired casped bell chamber lights are set beneath a pointed arch with hollow chamfered shouldered jambs. Big west window of 3-lights of finely reticulated tracery. Buttressed south wall with low pitched C19 gabled porch and the recut tracery in a linear Perpendicular style. Paired clerestory lights are set in hollow chamfered arched recesses. Fabric of chancel seems largely of earlier and probably C13 date: most of it is of cobble construction, though the upper courses are granite. Externally all features are of a later date however: there is a Perpendicular south window and a tiny priests door with hollow chamfered jambs. Added vestry to south. String course across east wall rises below the east window which is of 4-lights, a Victorian renewal in a late Decorated style. The north aisle is wide, with its own pitched roof and clerestory, similarly detailed to the nave. Its windows vary from reticulated to linear forms but appear to be renewed. Its east window however is a particularly flowing example of reticulation. Buttresses and string course. Inside, the north aisle is similar in size to the nave, giving the Church almost a double-naved appearance. The west tower arch is largely obscured by the organ but is single chamfered. The nave arcade of 4 bays has arches with sunk quadrant mouldings. The west respond is of clustered shafts, but the other piers are octagonal with flat panelled capitals, 2 of which are ornamented with simple quatrefoils and floral emblems in very low relief. Nave roof with tie beam is Victorian, but some of the corbel heads seem to be original. Chancel arch has quadrant mouldings but its responds are Victorian. The chancel screen with cross dates from the restoration of the Church. Piscina apparently a survival of the C13 building, a simple foiled recess. Archway to north chancel chapel has clustered shafts as responds and is of shallow pitch, the arch almost straight sided. Stained glass: some fragments of C14 glass survive in north and south windows and the east aisle window. Some of the fragments are merely floral or heraldic emblems, but there are also two pairs of angels, vigorously swinging censers. In the chancel north window is glass of 1866, richly coloured mediaeval style narrative. Late C19 wood reredos, in an Arts and Crafts idiom. Painted blue green red and gold it has two central figures of kneeling angels in low relief and a frieze of vine motifs etc., the lines of the foliage highly stylized. Victorian front seems to have used the aisle capitals as its inspiration: it is also octagonal with simple raised floral emblems. C12 pillar piscina in south aisle has chevron stem with cable moulding beneath scalloped squared basin.

Listing NGR: SP5261892655

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 52618 92655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:33:13.