List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1061550

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, GILMORTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityAshby Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191150

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBY MAGNA GILMORTON ROAD (East Side) SP59 SE

4/1 Church of St. Mary 11.1.55

GV II*

Parish Church. Essentially a late C13 building given a new chancel and restored in 1861. Random granite rubble with galletting, and limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Tower, nave with north aisle, chancel. West tower of four stages with angle buttresses, one of which contains a worn niche with fleurons. Embattled parapets. Blocked narrow west doorway and 3-light window above it, Victorian in the Decorated style. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Tall south wall with Victorian inserted 3-light windows of coarse Decorated tracery. There are two earlier windows above as if forming a clerestory: these are each a single light with rounded head. Chancel is entirely Victorian and the stonework is of a smaller grade of rubble. South windows are in a C13 style. The east window consists of 2 pairs of lancets with quatrefoil above, forming a plate traceried design. Late C13 style windows in north aisle are of intersecting tracery, but also C19, as is the north doorway with its slight roll mouldings. Plinths and buttresses to the aisle, and parapet to north nave wall, like a blind clerestory. Inside, the nave extends west of the 3 bay north arcade to the tower arch which is double chamfered and has an inner arch springing from corbels. Late C13 arcade has short octagonal shafts with abaci and double chamfered arches with outer hoodmould with corbel heads. The eastern respond is cut by the chancel wall showing that when the chancel was rebuilt it was brought slightly forward from its original alignment. Nave roof has tie beams and queen posts with curved bracing. Chancel arch has clustered shafts as responds and is chamfered with hoodmould. Shallow arch through to late C19 vestry to north of chancel. Piscinas in north and south are Victorian in an early C14 style. North window has two paired lancets set behind a double arched recess with central freestanding column. Furnishings and fittings all apparently date from the restoration. Stained glass: tiny fragments of C15 glass survive in one north aisle window: small yellow flowers. West window has glass of c1860 and the chancel east and south windows are of 1847: scenes from the life of Christ in mediaeval style combine uneasily with the more abstract backdrop of medallions. Round the west tower arch are stencilled Victorian flowers while the north doorway and the chancel arch are surmounted by texts. Evidently there were other texts and a painted frieze adorning the south wall but these have almost perished leaving only shadowy traces.

Listing NGR: SP5637090479

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 56370 90479

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:37:22.