List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WISTOW HALL, INCLUDING FLATS, AND, IN WING, BROWN'S FLAT, DAIRY COTTAGE, LAUNDRY COTTAGE, BREW HOUSE, FORGE COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1061546

Location

WISTOW HALL, INCLUDING FLATS, AND, IN WING, BROWN'S FLAT, DAIRY COTTAGE, LAUNDRY COTTAGE, BREW HOUSE, FORGE COTTAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityWistow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191140

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTOW Wistow Hall,including flats, SP 69 NW 2/117 19.10.51 and, in wing, Brown's Flat, Dairy Cottage, Laundry Cottage, Brew House, Forge Cottage. GV II* Country house, now 11 dwellings. Early C17, with later C18 alterations, remodelled c1815. Colourwashed rendered brick and Swithland slate hipped roof with colourwashed rendered ridge and truncated side stacks. Plinth and parapet. H plan. Entrance front of 2.1/2 storeys of 7 6/6 sash windows, 3 in recessed centre. 5 3/3 sash dormers. On ground floor 2 6/6 sashes on each wing and 1 storey addition filling central section. Flat roof with low parapet. A 9/9 sash either side a French window/door with top lights. On the corners of each wing an octagonal turret buttress with stepped plinth and octagonal low conical roof. On left end the garden front with further 6/6 and 2/2 sashes. On left a ground floor bow window with 3 2/2 sashes and on right a 2 storey bow window with 3 2/2 sashes both floors. On right end a 1.1/2 storey wing with mainly C20 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows. Cambered brick lintels with keystones. Band and moulded brick eaves. Formerly outbuildings, this wing was converted to dwellings mid C20. Inside main range, in the Entrance Hall, a coved ceiling with later C18 stucco work. Above this is said to be the C17 roof. Staircase with later C18 wrought-iron balustrade. C17 panelling, some probably reset. Stone doorway with Tudor arch. Wistow was bought in 1603 by the Halford family and the basic house is probably of this period. Alterations, including the formation of the Staircase Hall, were made in the later C18. The remodelling c1815 included the formation of the corner turret buttresses and the entrance vestibule. Charles I stayed at Wistow before the Battle of Naseby and he and Prince Rupert left their saddles here when changing horses on their flight after the battle. They are preserved in the house.

Listing NGR: SP6416295822

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 64162 95822

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 02:00:45.