List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1061533

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityPeatling Parva

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEATLING PARVA MAIN STREET (West Side) SP58 NE 8/52 Church of St. Andrew 11.1.55.

GV II* Parish Church. Features largely Perpendicular (C15) though internal C14 arcade is ample evidence that the fabric incorporates earlier elements. Restoration and addition of new aisle in 1877. Limestone ashlar and coarse small grade rubble. Leaded roofs, but Swithland slate to chancel. West tower, nave and 2 aisles clerestory and chancel. C15 west tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, paired foiled lights to bell chamber, quatrefoil frieze, and gargoyles to embattled parapet. South aisle is a Victorian rebuild in small rubble. Gable half-timbered porch with pargetting and leaded lights houses plain chamfered arched doorway. Windows are in an Early English style: paired lancets with unfoiled circles above. Tiny 2-light clerestory windows. Parapet. Chancel is also of small rubble or cobble construction, medieval though extensively modified. Lancet windows to south and a wide 3-light east window are Victorian but the 2-light square headed south windows seem Perpendicular. Fabric of buttressed north aisle of coursed and squared rubble is medieval, but windows are inserts in a deeply cut Early French style; paired trefoils with quatrefoils above. Inside double chamfered west tower arch, the inner chamfer springing from high fluted corbels. South arcade is mid-C14: low octagonal shafts with wide double chamfered arches with moulded stops to outer chamfer. North arcade is an exact replica of 1877. Nave roof is C15: low pitched, moulded tie, ridge piece and purlings with foliate boss in centre of each tie-beam. Unusual chancel arch of 1877 is tripartite; deeply moulded arches on slender pink octagonal shafts with stylised low-relief foliage design. Handsome open work wood pulpit with reticulated tracery in panels is dated 1879. 2 Gothic wall memorial tablets in black and white marble to commemorate Catherine Martha-Clarke d.1818 and John Clarke d.1858, by Barfield of Leicester. Stained glass of 1877. East window represents the good shepherd in a traditional medieval style with jewelled colours. South window has highly coloured abstract patterns. Series of saints in north aisle windows. South aisle windows throughout have simple yellow fleur-de-lis pattern. Pews are contemporary with the restoration in a vernacular gothic style. C13 font is a plain rough round basin.

Listing NGR: SP5888389668

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 58883 89668

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 04:58:38.