List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1061500

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, STONTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityEast Langton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 79 SW EAST LANGTON STONTON ROAD (west side) (Church Langton

2/6 The Old Rectory (formerly listed as 21.7.51 Rectory)

GV II*

House. c1780s, possibly by William Henderson of Leicester for William Hanbury Jnr. Brick with stone dressings. Hipped Swithland slate roof behind parapet. 1 ridge stack, and 2 lateral stacks. Stone plinth, 1st floor bands, dentilled cornice, and central pediment. South front, 2½ storeys, 5 bays, with central three pedimented forward projection, with a large semi-circular arch flanked by smaller semi-circular arches, all in gauged brick. Central doorway with stone surround, flat hood, and fascia decorated with swags, 6-panel door and fanlight. To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Above, a central Venetian window consisting of a glazing bar sash with semi-circular arch, flanked by side light with flat arches, all in gauged brick. To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Below the Venetian window and its flanking sashes, there are aprons with stone balusters. Above again, 4 smaller glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. The pediment has 3 acroteria with C20 cement urns replacing the originals. Tympanum was originally decorated with a central stucco urn with Adamesque garlands. Fragments remain at the house. Flanking the main block are single storey 1-bay screen wall wings. Each continues the plinth and uppermost of first floor bands of the main block, and each consists of a short stretch of brick wall, with a stone scroll at the junction with the main block, followed by a forward standing projection with triangular, coped pediment with stucco fascia decorated with a sunflower and a swag. Below, there is a single glazing bar sash with gauged brick flat arch, set within a double ordered gauged brick arch. Beyond this a further short stretch of wall terminates in a pier, again with a stone scroll at its junction, with coping and a C20 cement urn on top. North front, plainer than south. Stone plinth, first floor bands and dentilled cornice. Giant order angle pilasters with stone capitals. Central doorway with stone surround, triangular pediment and part- glazed door with overlight. To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Above, a central glazing bar sash, with stone surround consisting of an apron with balusters, fluted pilasters and a segmental pediment. To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Above again, a smaller glazing bar sash with plain stone surround, flanked by 2 similar sashes on each side. Again, the attached screen walls continue the plinth, and both first floor bands from the main block are resumed along a parapet with central panel of balusters, topped with a C20 cement urn at the end of the wall. Each wall has a ground floor cill band and a single glazing bar sash with gauged brick flat arch. The space between the screen walls on the east side of the house has been filled with a C19 single storey service block. Interior: central entrance hall with flanking rooms and arches to left and right giving onto stair- cases. Main staircase has slim turned balusters and a plain moulded rail. Sources: VCH, V, p200. CL, June 23, 1960, 1442-1445; CL May 10, 1979, 1454- 1456.

Listing NGR: SP7234693331

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 200
'Country Life' in 23 June, (1960), 1442-45
'Country Life' in 10 May, (1979), 1454-56

National Grid Reference: SP 72346 93331

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:14:53.