List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1061497

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityEast Langton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 79 SW EAST LANGTON CHURCH LANGTON

2/5 Church of St Peter 7.12.66 GV II*

Parish church. Late C13, early C14, C15, restored 1865-6 by the Goddards of Leicester. Coursed ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle,south porch, chancel, with north vestry and organ chamber. Continuous moulded and chamfered plinth of slighter form on north asile. Continuous cill course, except in vestry. C15 west tower of ashlared limestone. 4 storeys divided by chamfered stringcourses, with crenellated parapet. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs. West doorway with chamfered jambs and hoodmould with headstips. Double plank doors with ornate iron hinges. Above, a pointed arch 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hood- mould. Above again,a pointed arch 2-light bell-opening with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. To right, ascending arrow loops. South elevation has a clock face on 3rd stage inscribed, BLOH 1869 LEICESTER, with a single light trefoil head window above. 2-light bell-openings to north, south and east. C15 ashlared lime- stone clerestory with crenellated parapet with east gable finial and 4, 4-centred arch 3-light window with hoodmoulds and headstops. North aisle has coped parapet with cavetto moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads on its north wall. Angle buttresses with set-offs at corners. North wall has a painted arch doorway with chamfered jambs, hoodmould, and plank door. To west a late C13 2-light window with bar tracery to east, a buttress followed by a similar window, then another buttress followed by another similar window, all with hoodmoulds with headsteps. C15 4-centred arch 3-light window with hoodmould with headstops in west wall and similar 4-light window in east wall. Polygonal rood stair projection in angle between chancel and east wall of aisle. Chancel has crenellated parapet with east gable finial and cavetto moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads, only on its south wall. Buttresses with set-offs. Walls raised in C19. North wall has a tall 2-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops with, below, probably a late C13 piscina with painted chamfered arch, and shafted jambs. To west a C19 ashlared vestry with coped parapet and ashlared organ chamber with Crenellated parapet above. Very heavily moulded painted arch east doorway to vestry, with hoodmould with headstops and plank door. Single light 4-centred arch window with hoodmould with headstops on north wall, and to right a similar 2-light window. 4-centred arch 4-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould with head- stops on east wall. Chancel, east wall has angle buttresses and a 4-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with headstop. South wall has, from east to west, a tall, 2-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops, followed by a buttress and then a priest's doorway with chamfered jambs, houd- mould, and plank door with ornate iron hinges. Then another similar tall window, a buttress, and another similar window. South aisle has coped parapet and cavetto moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads, including a reset gargoyle. 4-centred arch 4-light window in east wall with panel tracery, hoodmould with headstops. Diagonal buttress with set-offs, then from east to west, a 3-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops, then a buttress with set-offs and then a 2-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with headstops. To west of porch a 2-light window with geometrical tracery and hood- mould with headstops in west wall. Early C14 coped, gabled south porch with angle buttresses and double chamfered doorway with hoodmould with headstops. Single, chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and headstopson east and west walls. Inside, stone benches. Double roll-moulded south doorway with hoodmould with headstops and plank door with ornate hinges. Interior: 4-bay arcades with pointed arches, continuous hoodmoulds, and double-chamfered piers with engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, with inner arch with octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases, and hoodmould with returned stops. Heavily moulded painted chancel arch with single shaft responds with moulded capitals and bases, and hoodmould with headstops. North aisle has continuous cill band, and early C14 tomb recess with pointed, heavily-moulded gable with foliate decoration, and 2 partly damaged octagonal corner pinnacles. There is an inner, trefoiled recess. No effigy survives. Rood stair doorway with chamfered 4-centred arch. 3 corbel heads buried in east wall. South aisle has similar tomb recess to north aisle, but contains recumbent effigy of Sir Richard Roberts (d 1644) with coat of arms above. Small cupboard in south-east corner. Chancel, south wall has C14 combined piscina and sedilia, with 4 ogee arches. North wall has cupboard retaining C17 door and hinges. Vestry to north contains reset Anglo-Saxon figure sculpture. Alabaster reredos c1900, with Last Supper panel carved in high relief. Octagonal bowl and stem font inscribed TCWC 1662, with heavily restored C17 wooden canopy. C15 nave roof heavily restored in C19. Aisle roofs also heavily restored in C19. C19 chancel roof. Monuments: On south wall of chancel, an alabaster and slate tablet to Samuel Hill (d 1639) with moulded classical surround with keystone, flanked by Ionic pilasters topped with a broken pediment. Above the choir stalls, a wooden plaque in moulded frame, to Anne Brooke (d 1632), adorned with painted figures. On south wall again, a memorial bust to Rev John Hanbury (d 1899). On north wall, an alabaster and slate tablet to Thomas Staveley (d 1631), flanked by Doric pilasters with strapwork decoration, topped with a round-headed moulding with decorative keystone and containing a coat of arms. Above the vestry door, a memoriall bust to William Hanbury (d 177 ). North aisle has four C19 memorials on north wall, all to Ord family, and a C19 memorial plaque to William Ward on west wall. Organ reputed to date from 1759, but heavily restored in 1937. C17 wooden poor box attached to a pew near south door. C19 altar table, iron and wood altar rail, rood screen, pulpit, lectern, choir stalls and pews. Mid C19 stained glass by Hardman in south-east window of chancel. Three other chancel windows, and north-east window of north aisle, all by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. C19 Minton tile floors. VCH, V, 201-2.

Listing NGR: SP7240893414

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 201-202

National Grid Reference: SP 72408 93414

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 11:49:07.