List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1061491

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityShearsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191308

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEARSBY SP69 SW CHURCH LANE (South Side)

1/87 Church of St. Mary Magdalene

11.1.55

GV II*

Parish Church. Very little of a medieval building survives, since the church was extensively restored by Ordish c1880. The tower, however, was built in 1789. Limestone ashlar to tower, the rest of random granite rubble with limestone dressings. Two stage tower is an odd mixture of classical and gothic allusion, with two-centred arched windows to ground floor with wood Y-tracery and a similar window in the second stage, but with a Gibbs surround. The second stage has stepped pedestal and angle pilasters and is divided by a sill band, above which is an oculus, and it is surmounted by a small octagonal stump with oculi. The west facade is the show piece with C18 wood panelled door in architrave with splayed voussoirs and stressed keystone. Above it is an inscription plate and a quatrefoil recess, and this is all contained in an ogival arch, itself set beneath a pediment. The inscription records that "this steeple was re-built at the expense of the landowners of this lordship A.D. 1789". The west walls of the nave reveal medieval masonary overlaid by C18 ashlar work which contains elegant niches. The remains of the original wall form a short buttress at the angle which is surmounted by a winged dragon gargoyle. The rest is Victorian with plinths, buttresses and tracery in an early Decorated style with grouped lancets. South door with continuous moulding within porch. Steeply pitched roofs with plain tiles. East wall also of medieval fabric: cobblestones and a dragon gargoyle. The window, however, is an insertion as is the small quatrefoil in the gable apex. Blocked door to north and a solitary corbel with angry beast's head. Inside, a single space with C18 square headed doorway and blocked window above to tower. Other features are all Victorian. Scissor braced rafter roof. Wood chancel screen however is C15 with square panels with foiled decoration and central ogival arch with cusping. C14 sedilia in chancel with cylindrical shaft and trefoiled head: The moulding is heavy and inaccurately set out. Piscina in similar style. Stained glass in chancel east window of 1885, in a painterly style. Glass also in north aisle of 1856-7 depicting the Resurrection and a Miracle story, these in a more medieval manner. Victorian fittings include benches, heavy stone pulpit and font.

Listing NGR: SP6232490989

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62324 90989

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:55:26.