List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1061473

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityLubenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191365

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUBENHAM CHURCH WALK SP 7087-7187 (north and west side)

7/38 Church of All Saints 7.12.66 GV I

Parish church. Late C12, early and late C13, early C14, C15, C17, C18, C19, restored 1900 by Gotch and Saunders of Kettering, further restored and re-roofed 1934-5. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch, chancel, north chapel. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlared limestone dressings. Lead roofs. Coped parapets. West tower, late C13, 2 stages, upper stage probably added c1600. Double chamfered plinth, plain first stage band, then above, a moulded band and crenellated parapet. Diagonal buttresses of c1400, with coped set-offs at north-west and south-west corners. West elevation has plain doorway probably inserted 1727, with wooden lintel and plank door. Above,a 2-light window with a straight hoodmould. Above again, a 2-light bell-opening with chamfered jambs. North, south and east elevations have similar bell-openings. North aisle has north doorway with C13 round arch with hoodmould. To west, a buttress followed by a C19 3-light window with straight hoodmould, in Perpendicular style. To east, a buttress, followed by a similar window, then another buttress, followed by a 3-light C17 window with square frame and ovolo-moulded mullions. Then another buttress followed by a C17 doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould. 3-bay clerestory with 2-light C15 window with hoodmoulds. North chapel rebuilt c1600, with diagonal buttress at north-east corner, C14 north window and 3-light east window with hoodmould. Chancel walls raised in C15. East wall has C14 diagonal buttresses, cill band, and large C14 5-light window with 4-centred arch, restored in C19. South wall has, from east to west, a 2-light window with hoodmould and headstops, followed by a buttress, then another 2-light window with hoodmould, and then a C20 boilerhouse stack. Band above indicates start of raised wall. South aisle, late C13, from east to west, a buttress followed by a C19 3-light window with hoodmould. Then the south porch, rebuilt 1861 with ashlar coped gable and slate roof. Chamfered, pointed arch doorway with hoodmould. East and west walls have single 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. To west of porch, one bay of south aisle was demolished in C15 and a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould inserted in blocked bay. Clerestory has from east to west, a 3-light window with square frame and cavetto-moulded jambs and mullions, followed by a 2-light window with ogee head tracery, and hoodmould, then a buttress and then a 3-light window with hoodmould. Interior: late C13 double-chamfered pointed tower arch with hoodmould and double-shaftedpiers with moulded capitals and bases. Nave arcades probably late C13, 3 bays on north, 2 on south, the south-west bay blocked. Late C13 double-chamfered pointed arches with continuous hoodmoulds. North arcade, central bay has 2 flat,circular piers that to west with octagonal moulded capital, that to east with square abacus with stiff-leaf carving to its underside, and carved faces at corners, probably c1200. Above the west capital the hoodmould springs from 2 corbelled heads. South arcade piers are polygonal with moulded capitals and bases. Late C13 double-chamfered chancel arch with much of hoodmould gone, with polygonal piers with capitals and bases. Rood stair doorways on both sides of chancel arch. North aisle, east end has pointed arch entry into north chapel. North chapel, south wall has damaged piscina and sedilia of c1300, and reset C13 corbels. Squint with damaged C14 tracery. North and east walls clad with C17 and C18 panelling, including an inner porch to north door, with fluted pilasters at corners. Chancel, north wall has large, chamfered round arch with hoodmould, on circular piers, then a squint from north chapel, then a canopied recess with triple shafts and fillets and cinquefoil arch with heads at points of coping. On each side, a damaged pinnacle on a corbel; probably C14, possibly an Easter Sepulchre. Trefoil head piscina below west window of south wall. C15 nave roof, restored in 1860 and 1934-5. C19 octagonal font. C19 organ. Damaged early C17 pew in south aisle, with panelled sides and door with balustraded screen above. Box pews and 2-decker pulpit with sounding board, 1812. C17 chair, and altar table of oak with large, turned legs, reputedly removed from Old Hall, Lubenham. Fragments of medieval screen and poppy head bench ends, against south wall of nave. Hanoverian coat of arms in square frame above chancel arch. Monuments: Chancel has C19 tablets to Bullivant family, and two C18 marble tablets to Wright family. C19 tablet on east side of nave to Bosworths of Papillon Hall. VCH, V, 227-8.

Listing NGR: SP7052487072

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 227-28

National Grid Reference: SP 70524 87072

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 07:29:38.