List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1061441

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityCatthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 57 NE CATTHORPE -

Church of St Thomas 7/1 II* 11.1.55

Parish Church. Early C14, C15, restored 1886 by W Basset Smith.Rubblestone with ashlared limestone dressings. Lead and plain tile roof. Buttresses with set-offs. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel with north vestry. C15, 3-stage ashlared tower with plinth, 2 string courses, and embattled parapet. West elevation: a chamfered pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould with headstops. Above in 2nd stage, a very small window. Above in 3rd stage, a chamfered pointed arch, single- light louvred bell-opening. South elevation has extruded staircase turret. In 2nd stage, a small, pointed arch window. In 3rd stage, a bell opening similar to west. North and east elevations both have round-arched, louvred bell-openings. C15 nave lead roof and ashlar coped parapet. North wall has plinth for 2 bays to east and, from west to east; a buttress followed by another buttress covering a blocked C14 doorway with pointed arch and hoodmould. Then a buttress, followed by a chamfered pointed arch 2-light window with C14 Y tracery and hoodmould, restored in C19. Then another buttress followed by chamfered, round-arched 3-light window with hoodmould. South wall of nave, from west to east: part rendered south porch with plain tile roof, coped gable with kneelers, diagonal buttresses. Four- centred arch doorway with hoodmould with headstops and C19 double plankdoors. South doorway has heavily moulded pointed arch with headmould, and C19, 6-paneldoor. To east again, a buttress, followed by a chamfered pointed arch 3-light window with hoodmould, then a buttress, and another similar window, with headstops, followed by another buttress and another similar window with headstops. Then a buttress. Late C19 chapel and vestry, with plain tile roof, coped gables, and roofline higher than nave. Vestry north wall has plain chamfered 3-light window, and to east, a flat arched doorway with plank door. East wall has plain chamfered 2-light window. Chancel, south wall has plinth and from west to east: a chamfered pointed arch 2-light window with hoodmould, then a priest's doorway with double- moulded pointed arch with shafts with capitals and bases, and hoodmould with stops, and plank door. Then a lancet with hoodmould. East wall has gable with kneelers and cross finial diagonal buttresses, sill band, and chamfered pointed arch, 2- light platetracery window with hoodmould. Above in the gable, a small circular trefoil window. INTERIOR; chamfered, four-centred tower arch. Heavily moulded chancel arch with triple shafted responds with capitals and bases. Plain nave. Chancel walls painted in late C19 with squares and chevrons. C19 organ backing into vestry. C19 altar rails, table, pews, stalls, lectern, pulpit. C20 metal reredos. C18 parish chest. C13 stone coffin lid with bust of a woman in sunk trefoiled recess, with some remaining marginal inscription. C13 font with circular bowl on 4 short shafts. Bowl has decoration of widely spaced head and leaf forms and band around rim. Royal arms in wooden frame on north wall of nave. MONUMENTS: marble wall memorial on north wall of the tower, to Rev Samuel Purefoy Harper (d.1838). WWI memorial brass plaque on north wall of nave.C20 memorial brass plaque on north-east wall of chancel. C19 roofs, with brattished trusses, set on re- used corbels in nave. C19 stained glass.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 128)

Listing NGR: SP5520578166

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 128

National Grid Reference: SP 55205 78166

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 08:06:06.