List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK TO EAST OF STANFORD HALL

List entry Number: 1061435

Location

STABLE BLOCK TO EAST OF STANFORD HALL, STANFORD PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityWestrill and Starmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 57 NE WESTRILL AND STARMORE STANFORD PARK

7/69 Stable block to east of 11/01/55 Stanford Hall (formerly listed with Stanford Hall)

GV II*

Stable block. 1737 by Francis Smith of Warwick for Sir Thomas Cave. C20 alterations. Brick with stone dressings. C20 plain tile roofs. Plinth, quoins, cornice, coped parapet. 2 courtyards. 2 storeys. South front: 7 bays, symmetrical. Central 3 bays emphasised by quoins and triangular pediment, with clockface dated 1737. Large, central entrance with rubbed brick segmental arch. To left and right, 3 glazing-bar sashes with shouldered architraves and sills with brackets. Above, 7 smaller glazing-bar sashes with shouldered architraves. Rooftop cupola with weathervane. Courtyard ranges have dentilled cornices, segmental-arched vehicle entrances, and casements with cambered arches. Range to east retains inside 6 original wooden stalls with posts with balls. Doorway in north range, aligned with south entrance, has Doric doorcase with triangular pediment, and leads to 2nd courtyard (q.v.)

Listing NGR: SP5878579329

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 26 Leicestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SP 58785 79329

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 03:21:57.