List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1061424

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityShawell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 57 NW SHAWELL MAIN STREET (south west side)

Church of All Saints 6/42 11/01/55 II* GV

Parish church. C15 west tower, the rest rebuilt 1865-6 by William Smith. Roughly squared syenite and ashlared limestone tower and dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, north aisle, south porch, chancel, north vestry. Continuous plinth. Moulded cornice coped gables with kneelers and cross finials to nave and chancel. Buttresses with set-offs. 3-stage tower with 3 string courses, embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Weathercock. Angle buttresses becoming diagonal buttresses above 1st stage. West elevation: single four-centred arch 2-light window with hoodmould. Above in 3rd stage, a chamfered four- centred arch 2-light lowered bell-opening with hoodmould. North, south, and east elevations have similar bell-openings. South elevation has a very small trefoiled window in its 2nd stage. North aisle: single, chamfered, pointed arch single-light west window. North wall from west to east: a buttress followed by a pair of chamfered trefoiled windows, a buttress, then a pair of similar windows, another buttress, followed by another pair of similar windows, then a buttress. Then a chamfered caernarvon arch doorway with plank door, to vestry. East wall has a 2-light window. South wall of nave, from west to east: a pointed arch single-light window with hoodmould, followed by south porch, half-timbered, with barge-boarded gable and double gates. Trefoiled openings to east and west. Roll-moulded, pointed arch south doorway with hoodmould and a double plank doors. To east again, a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould, then a buttress, followed by another chamfered, pointed arch, 2- light window with hoodmould, and then another buttress. Chancel: north wall, from west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould, followed by a buttress. South wall, from west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould, then a chamfered, pointed arch, priest's doorway with hoodmould and plank door, followed by another similar window, and then a buttress. East wall has a chamfered, pointed arch, 3- light window with hoodmould, to left and right a buttress. INTERIOR: C19 polychromatic stonework. Double-chamfered pointed tower arch with responds with capitals and bases. 3-bay north arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches. 2 circular piers with circular bases, and capitals with floral decoration. East and west responds have capitals and bases with floral decoration. Double-chamfered and roll-moulded pointed chancel arch, with hoodmould with headstops. Responds on corbels, and engaged shafts, all with capitals and bases, to east and west. Chancel has continuous sill band with floral decoration at its ends. South east window sill sedile. 1881 marble and mosaic reredos. C19 altar rails, table, stalls, pews, pulpit, organ, lectern. C19 drum font on 4 short shafts. MONUMENTS:oval slate wall memorial to Thomas Grace (d1742) and a similar memorial to Dorothy Grace (d1779) on south wall of tower. Marble and slate wall memorial to Holled Smith Esq (d1794) his wife and 3 children, with winged figure of Death scything broken Ionic columns above inscription, to right of tower arch. Brass wall memorial to Thomas Cockerill (d1862) and his wife on south wall of nave to east of door. 2 WWI single wall memorials on west wall of nave. 2 late C19 brass wall memorials to Rev Edward Elmhirst, and wife, on south wall of chancel. C19 roofs. C19 polychromatic tiled floors. C19 stained glass, the south west window of chancel, 1890, by Charles Elliott.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 372)

Listing NGR: SP5413879676

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 372

National Grid Reference: SP 54138 79676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2014 at 07:57:20.