List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1061404

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAUL'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489643

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

850/0/10030 ST PAUL'S ROAD 25-JUL-02 CHURCH OF ST PAUL

GV II

Parish church. Nave and chancel of 1857 by Benjamin Ferrey in Gothic style with north aisle added in 1860, probably by Ferrey. Pulpit and chancel stalls added in 1866. South aisle added in 1869 by R Hubbuck. In 1897 the choir vestry was added to the north east and the organ and organ chamber added. Refurbishment of 1903 included new font cover, clergy stalls, prayer desk and pews. West porch added in 1931 in matching style. Flint with stone dressings and tiled roof with weatherboarded and shingled bellcote. Comprises four and a half bay nave with west bellcote, lower two bay chancel, north east vestry and west porch. EXTERIOR: West front has central projecting gable with rose window, five lancets with arcading below and large square porch. Wooden bellcote set diagonally has a weatherboarded base and shingled spire with cast iron cross. Similar gabled aisles have trefoil lights with triple arches with traceried central lights below. Gabled porch with colonnettes to south west. Aisles have traceried windows divided by buttresses. Large traceried east window. L-shaped vestry to south east. INTERIOR: Arcade with pointed arches with octagonal columns and stiffleaf moulding. Nave and aisles have arch-braced roofs supported on corbels, the nave roof additionally having tension braces. Stone font with circular top and octagonal colonnette base with 1903 ornamental font cover and octagonal pulpit with four marble colonnettes to base. Pews of 1903. South aisle has stained glass window of 1860 and 1873 stained glass window with scenes from the life of St Paul. North aisle east window dedicated to Thomas Hope of Deepdene depicting Risen Christ and below an oak panelled War Memorial with two paintings of angels. Elaborate chancel arch with columns with stiffleaf capitals and marble columns. Chancel has elaborate arch-braced roof with arched tension braces and a band of trefoils. Marble-lined walls. Marble wall monument to George Turnour Horton Aitchison d 1861. Stained glass windows, south window "Pray that ye enter not into tempation", east window the Adoration of the Magi and Shepherds and north window "Raising of the Daughter of Jairus". Wooden communion rails and elaborate clergy stalls of 1903. The sanctuary has fine quality Minton tiles and a reredos survives behind later C20 curtaining with painted angels and a marble HISTORY: The site was donated by Henry Thomas Hope of Deepdene but the money for building it given by Henry Labouchere of Broome Hall.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ1661348892

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 11:07:21.