List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1061362

Location

POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE, NANTWICH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



153/0/10017 NANTWICH ROAD 19-JUN-02 Police Training College

II

Ursuline convent and school. C1910. Designed in the Arts and Crafts style of the late C19 and early C20, derived from the work of Philip Webb. The building has architectural references to the French gothic (tracery and fleurs de lis) for the Ursuline nuns who founded the convent in 1906, and the Arts and Crafts Dutch/Queen Anne style with small-pane sash windows of mass housing of the early C20. Red/Brown brick in decorative header and Flemish bonds, moulded brick surrounds for doorways, in window arches and tall arched recesses to main facades. Carved stone panels and mouldings in gothic style in the entrance bay, above the doorway and window and in the gables; stone gable copings, and carved finials. Plain stone sills, lintels, sill bands. Timber ornamental barge boards to alternate dormer windows, grey slate roof. L plan comprising a south and a west wing; 3 storeys plus attics. The main faƎade, south wing, faces south with 4 bays of 4, 3, 2 and 10 first-floor windows. Bays 1 and 3 project slightly and are gabled; the right-hand two windows of bay 4 are obscured by a 2-storey later addition. The entrance in bay 3 had a narrow doorway right, cross window left, tympana with cupsed tracery under semi-circular moulded string, diamond plane leaded lights. Bay 1: the tympana above the ground floor windows have carved panels with lilies (representing the French fleur-de-lis and the annunciation of the Virgin Mary)and defaced fountain stones at ground level. The lily motif is also displayed between windows, bay 4. The left return, west wing, is of 4 bays, each with 2 paired windows in a full-height arched recess. A 3-storey staircase bay is set back, far left. The right bay has a stepped brick dormer gable, the windows divided by a central full-height chimney ornamented with a keyed arched recess. The rear facade of each wing has paired windows in full-height round-arched recesses, and dormer windows, all lacking the ornamental detail of the facades. Two tall added staircase/lift towers added to north walling, and single-storey additions not included in the listing. The east gable end has mouldings as main facades, and a glazed double door right.

Interior: The main entrance opens into a staircase hall. The staircase has cast-iron balustrade with ramped handrail, balusters of reeded naturalistic design. South wing, east end ground floor: reported to have been pupils' chapel, has paired cusped lights to south windows and a blocked single light window in the rear wall. Corridor with blind arcading. The Ursuline Sisters, a French order of nuns, founded a convent at Crewe in 1906; this building is not shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1911 but is reported to have been built c1910 [Edge, p. 233]. The school was recognised as a secondary school by the Crewe Board of Education in 1922. In the second half of the C20 the building was converted to the Cheshire Constabulary Training Centre and Maintenance headquarters. At the time of listing the building had become the Police Training College, with extensive accommodation added to the north. Refs. W H Chaloner: The Social and Economic Development of Crewe, 1950. B.Edge: The Old photographs series: Crewe, 1994 [shows a ridge stack on west wing, centre].

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Chaloner, W H - Title: The Social and Economic Development of Crewe - Date: 1950
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Edge, B - Title: Crewe - Date: 1994 - Journal Title: The Old Photographs

National Grid Reference: SJ 70032 54357

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 02:43:23.