List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1061281

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBuckminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189773

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 82 SE BUCKMINSTER CHURCH DRIVE (north side) Church of St. John 2/1 the Baptist 1.1.68 I G.V.

Parish church. C13, C14, C15. Restored and vestries added to north aisle by C. Kirk, 1883. Tower and spire repaired 1843, 1874 and 1894. Limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Chamfered plinths and moulded sill bands. South tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle and vestry, chancel, south chapel, south aisle, south porch. South tower, 3 stages, has shallow clasping buttresses and to north east, a square stair turret with a stair light on each stage. 2 moulded string courses, coved eaves. First stage has to south a cusped ogee triple lancet, with hood mould and stops. Second stage has to south a C13 chamfered lancet, with hood mould and stops, and to its right a C20 sundial. To west, a stair light. Bell stage has to south, an ogee double lancet bell opening and to east and west, plain double lancet louvred bell openings, all with moulded reveals, hood moulds and mask stops. Below the east opening, a clock. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes in the cardinal directions, those to the lower tier having plate and reticulated tracery, and intermediate tiers of smaller lucarnes on the alternate faces. Above, finial and weathercock. Nave, 4 bays, has mask and fleuron frieze, coped parapet and east gable with cross. West end has a triple lancet with flamboyant tracery and hood mould and above it, a C15 double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Clerestory, C15, has 2 cusped ogee double lancets with panel tracery. North side has to east a similar double lancet. These windows have hood moulds. To west, 3 cusped ogee double lancets with flat heads. North aisle and vestry, 4 bays, has moulded coped parapet, 2 angle buttresses and 2 intermediate buttresses with setoffs, and a gabled lateral stack. North side has 2 C14 ogee triple lancets with panel tracery and four centred arched heads, flanked to left by a chamfered C19 doorway and to right by a C14 moulded and rebated doorway. All these openings have hood moulds and stops. West end has a mid C14 double lancet with flowing tracery. East end has a C19 double lancet with Y tracery. Both these windows have hood moulds and mask stops. Chancel, 2 bays, remodelled C15, has coved eaves band and coped parapet and gable with cross. North side has to east a squat C13 double lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and mask stops. East end has sill band and 2 gabled diagonal buttresses. Central blocked doorway and traces of roof line. Above, a 5 light C15 lancet with panel tracery, fillet moulded reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has to east a C15 cusped ogee double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South chapel, 2 bays, remodelled C15, has chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, moulded eaves band, crenellated parapet and gable. South side has 2 buttresses topped with pinnacles. West buttress has above it, a gargoyle. To west, a cusped ogee double lancet and to east, an untraceried triple lancet with 4 centred arched reveal. Both windows have hood moulds. East end has an untraceried C15 triple lancet with 4 centred arched reveal and hood mould. South aisle, 3 bays, C13 remodelled C15, has crenellated parapet and fleuron frieze. South side has porch flanked to west by a C13 single lancet and to east by a late C13 double lancet with chamfered reveal and hood mould. West end has 2 angle buttresses and a C13 double lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould. South porch, C13, remodelled C15, has moulded plinth, chamfered sill band, fleuron frieze, crenellated parapet and gable with ogee finial and pinnacles. Moulded 4 centred arched doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and keeled shafts. Above the door, 3 niches with crocketed canopies. Porch interior has stone benches and restored arch braced common rafter roof with foliate corbels. Moulded and rebated C13 inner doorway with hood mould. Interior has nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays, with octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches, and hood moulds with mask stops. Similar south arcade has square eastern pier and C19 altered archway to tower chamber. East end has to south an octagonal stair enclosure with traceried panels and niche, and a stone newel stair. C15 roof with moulded arch braces, bosses and wall shafts on mask corbels. North aisle and vestry has moulded fleuron frieze. East end has a C13 double chamfered archway with hood mould, mask stops and octagonal imposts. Late Cl9 glazed traceried wooden screen. Plain lean-to roof with animal mask corbels. South aisle has similar frieze, roof and corbels. Chancel has C13 style multiple chamfered arch with hood mould and octagonal shafts on foliate corbels, and sill band. North side has to west, double chamfered C13 archway with octagonal imposts. To east, C13 doorway, restored, with hood mould, flanked to right by a tomb recess with filleted roll mould. East end has blocked central doorway and to left, a square aumbry. Stained glass east window, 1916. South side has to east, a damaged Easter sepulchre with a moulded square recess and above it, 2 gabled crocketed recesses with finials. To its right, piscina and roll moulded graduated sedilia with shafts, all c.1300. To west, double chamfered C13 archway with imposts. Restored common rafter roof with arch braces and mask corbels. South chapel has at west end a restored triple chamfered arch with responds with crenellated capitals. North west corner has a square stair enclosure with blocked stair with a pointed opening to south and above, to east, a stair light. Restored C15 roof with arch braces and mask corbels. Fittings include C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels, embattled rim, and stem with clustered shafts. Late C19 traceried panelled stalls and desks with poppyheads, C19 and C20 benches with shaped ends, and late C19 brass lectern. Octagonal linenfold panelled oak pulpit, 1892. 2 C17 bobbin turned chairs. Large mid C16 oil painting by Carofalo. C17 iron bound poor box on brackets. Memorials include brass, 1686, hatchment, 1603, tablet on brackets, 1837, obelisk tablet with urn and weeper, 1844. Arch topped marble and alabaster war memorial tablet, 1918 by Cawthorp. Alabaster tablet, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK8790723078

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 87907 23078

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:18:41.