List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1061273

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityGarthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189854

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 82 SW GARTHORPE MAIN STREET]

Coston (north east side) 1/97 Church of St. Andrew 1.1.68 I

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C15, mid C17. Restored and chancel rebuilt in 1846 by Weightman and Hadfield. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with limestone ashlar dressings and gabled slate and lead roofs. Moulded coped parapets and east gables with crosses. Small internal tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West end has slightly projecting tower with chamfered and moulded plinth and string courses. Single round headed Cll window. C14 bell stage has on each side a double lancet opening with hood mould. Octagonal broach spire has a single tier of gabled lucarnes, each with a single lancet. Above again, finial and weathercock. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and on each side 3 ogee double lancets with segmental pointed heads and hood moulds. Parapeted north aisle, 2 bays, has chamfered string course. West end has chamfered single lancet. North side has 2 restored double lancets with foiled heads and hood moulds. East end has re-set late C14 ogee double lancet with panel tracery, coved reveal and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north, blocked doorway with hood mould. East end has 2 corner buttresses and Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould. South side has to west, 4 centred arched door and to east, double lancet with quatrefoil in head. Both openings have hood moulds. South aisle C14, 3 bays, has moulded string course, vine-trail frieze and moulded parapet with 2 gargoyles. At each end, a buttress, 2 setoffs, with an ogee headed niche, each topped with a superimposed ogee niche and a broached octagonal pinnacle. East end has early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to west, double lancet with arches upon arches tracery, and to east a reticulated triple lancet. West end has double lancet with vescia piscis head. All the windows have hood moulds and mask stops. South porch, rebuilt mid C17, hascoped gable and chamfered and rebated C13 doorway with imposts and hood mould. Above, tablet inscribed 'JR WI GW 166-'. Interior has stone benches, re-set stoup and C19 common rafter roof. C13 cove moulded inner doorway has roll hood mould. Nave has at west end, internal tower with double chamfered arch with faceted imposts, flanked by single square piers with moulded imposts. Early C13 north arcade, 3 bays, has restored round piers with waterholding bases and moulded abaci, double chamfered semi-circular arches and hood mould. C14 south arcade, 3 bays, has restored octagonal piers, responds and abaci, double chamfered pointed arches and hood mould with mask stops. C19 low pitched single purlin roof with C15 mask and angel corbels. North aisle west end has stained glass window, c.1881, and north side has 2 C19 stained glass windows. Restored C14 roof has wall plate with masks and fleurons, arch braces with curved spandrels and angel and beast corbels. South aisle has eaves band with vine trail. East end has window with C14 stained glass panel. South side has to east, cusped C14 piscina and restored graduated sedilia. Restored lean-to roof. Chancel has double chamfered arch with hood mould and stops. North side has to east, cusped aumbry. East end has C19 stained glass window. South side has C13 style piscina and double sedilia with hood moulds. Stained glass window, 1865. Panelled wooden vaulted roof. Fittings include C13 style arcaded altar and triptych reredos with figure carving, 1885. C19 plain benches, traceried oak pulpit, traceried stalls, and 3 benches with shaped ends. Brass eagle lectern, 1902. Wooden lectern and square poor box on bracket, late C19. C15 font with traceried panelled octagonal bowl and tapered stem. Royal Arms (George III) on board. Memorials include re-set incised slate slab with crest, 1814, 3 C19 brasses, single C20 brass and roll of honour, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK8480322186

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 84803 22186

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:51:06.