List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914

List entry Number: 1060872

Location

SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914, MAIDSTONE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthoritySutton Valence

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON VALENCE MAIDSTONE ROAD TQ 8049-8149 (east side) 7/145 Sutton Valence School, Block erected 1910-1914, II

School. 1910-14 by Adams, Holden and Pearson. Red brick in English bond. South ends of wings stone on ground floor, tile- hung above. Plain tile roofs. Courtyard plan, open to south, with outward-turning south ends to side ranges and assembly room projecting north from centre of north range. North range 2 storeys and attics with taller rectangular brick stair turret of irregular outline to each end. East and west ranges 3 tall storeys, and their south end ranges 3 lower storeys, all on stone plinth. Flush bands of thin coursed tiles above ground and first-floor windows. Plain parapet to north range. Parapet with moulded wooden eaves cornice to south end ranges. Asymmetrical gabling to south ends of side ranges, with broad panelled terminal stacks. Ridge stack and gable end stack to each turned end. 2 dormers to north range. 4-light wooden cross windows; 7 to each side range, breaking eaves, and 9 to north, central 3 within canted bay. 3 further single lights to each end of north range. Lunette windows with stained glass to assembly rooms. Various sets of panelled double doors. Brick and tile vaulted passageway towards each end of north range. Central leaded clock tower. Stone coat of arms above central door. Interior not inspected. School founded 1576 by William Lambe.

Listing NGR: TQ8123449348

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 81234 49348

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 10:09:09.