List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN ABOUT 15 METRES SOUTH WEST OF BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA PLACE

List entry Number: 1060752

Location

BARN ABOUT 15 METRES SOUTH WEST OF BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA PLACE, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityBoughton Monchelsea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174470

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA CHURCH HILL TQ 74 NE (East side)

2/10 Barn about 15 metres south- west of Boughton 27.7.52 Monchelsea Place

GV II

Barn. C15 or early C16, with late C18 or early C19 alterations. Timber framed. North section of west aisle wall weatherboarded, south section red brick in Flemish bond. South gable end weatherboarded on stone plinth. South wall of return wing partly weatherboarded, partly with exposed broadly-spaced studding with red and grey brick infilling on stone plinth. Plain tile roof. Approximately 8 timber-framed bays, with side aisles, end aisle to south, and possibly also to north. A further 2 or 3 bays to north, probably added or rebuilt in late C18 or early C19. Section of single-storey height, possibly a C16 addition, running east from south end of east elevation of main barn. Steeply-pitched roof to main barn, hipped with gablet to south, half-hipped to north. 6 hipped dormers to west slope of roof; 2 deep eaves dormers and one smaller roof dormer with small paned lights to south side of carriage entrance, and 3 small roof dormers to north, one with a multi-paned 2-light casement, one boarded and one louvred. Carriage entrance with weatherboarded sides formed in the fifth timber-framed bay from the south, roofed as far as the arcade plate, and with aisles discontinued. Further midstreys to second and seventh bays from south, the latter with bracketed canopy, the former with low lean-to roof. Single-storey section has pair of conjoined rendered gables towards east end of north elevation. Lower 2-storey addition to north end; timber framed, with broadly-spaced studding, brick infilling, and half-hipped plain tile roof. Interior: only partly inspected. Largely floored. Gunstock-jowled posts, arch-braced to tie beams and arcade-plates. Crown-post roof, but with few crown-posts surviving. Original studs and bracing to parts of aisles. Edge- halved scarf joint to arcade plate. Late C18 or early C19 roof of staggered butt purlins with king posts to north end. Barn, with single-storey wing, shown on print of c.1720 (Country Life June 20th 1963).

Listing NGR: TQ7710649948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 20 June, (1963)
Other
Part 24 Kent,

National Grid Reference: TQ 77106 49948

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:07:15.