List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1060613

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOWER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityWest Farleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174829

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST FARLEIGH LOWER ROAD TQ 75 SW (North side) 2/26 Church of All Saints 23-5-67 GV I

Parish church. Late Cll or C12 and Cl5, restored 1875. Small blocks of roughly-coursed ragstone to tower. Random ragstone to organ chamber. Nave and chancel pebbledashed. Tufa quoins to chancel. Plain tile roof. West tower, nave, slightly narrower square-ended chancel. South porch to nave. South-west organ chamber to chancel. West tower: C15. Two stages, on chamfered stone plinth. Battlements above moulded string. No buttresses. Single trefoil-headed belfry light to each face except east, each with small chamfered slit light some distance below it. Rectangular light towards top of west face of lower stage. Small two- light west window with trefoil-headed lights and squared hoodmould. Moulded round-headed west doorway with moulded round-headed hoodmould. North-east stair turret, becoming octagonal towards top, rising above tower, with battlements above chamfered andgargoyled string. Nave: late C11 or C12. No visible plinth. Small broad lancet-type window towards west end of south elevation. C19 pointed-arched two-light traceried window with hoodmould to right of porch. Small round-headed late C11 or C12 window under eaves, with tall lancet set lower immediately to east of it. South porch: C19. Glazed wooden tracery on high chamfered stone base. Cusped bargeboards to gable. Plain tile roof. Pointed- arched wooden outer opening, weatherboarded above. Moulded three-or four-centred arched C15 stone inner doorway. Organ chamber: C19. Gabled to south, with lower eaves than chancel. Low pointed-arched west doorway and pointed-arched two-light south window with hoodmould. Chancel: late C11 or C12. No visible plinth. Lower eaves than nave. Traceried two-light window with hoodmould to south, and another to north. 3 small separate round-headed east windows, that to centre stepped above the others. Small blocked rectangular opening towards west end of north elevation. North elevation of nave: No visible plinth. Small round-headed late C11 or C12 window under eaves towards centre. Two-light cavetto-moulded C15 window towards east end, with cinquefoil-headed lights, four-centred arched head and moulded hoodmould. Similar C15 two-light window towards west, but smaller and with pointed head. Interior structure: round-headed chancel arch of two plain square tufa orders without imposts. Round-headed tufa west doorway to nave, visible from base of tower, with fat roll between two square orders, and with cushion capital surviving to south side. Round-headed windows splayed towards interior, that to north side of nave with tufa rere- arch. Stone window seat in recess beneath south-east nave lancet and south chancel window. C15 round-headed hollow-chamfered-doorway with broach stops and two-plank door, to tower stair turret. Roof: common- rafter roof to nave with ashlar-pieces and sous-laced collars. Three moulded arch-braced tie-beams (one to east and two to centre) with moulded pendant posts, each with blank wooden shield to base. Moulded cornice. Similar roof to chancel but with un-braced plain-chamfered tie-beams, moulded and brattished cornice, and no pendant posts. Fittings: piscina to east side of south-east nave lancet seat recess with two pointed arches set at right-angles to each other. Similar piscina under south chancel window. C17 octagonal stone font on Bethersden marble base. Wooden font cover with moulded base, crocketed dome and moulded finial. Panelled C18 family pew, with frieze of pierced panels below cornice. Royal Arms over tower doorway. Monuments: tomb recess to south wall of nave, with cusped and subcusped arch under squared hoodmould, shields to spandrels, and frieze of Tudor flowers. Tablet on south wall of nave to Mrs. Elizabeth Kirby, d.1748. Oval, with cherub's head below base, achievements towards top, and festooned urn above. Tablet on south wall of nave to John Davis, d.1776. Rectangular inscription panel, with grey marble border, shaped base- plate with cherub's head and roses, moulded cornice, and grey obelisk above with urn and achievements. Monument on east wall of nave to south of chancel arch, to Edward Goulston, d.1720; grey-veined marble; moulded plinth on gadrooned consoles, with draped rectangular base plate terminating in skull. Inscription flanked by fluted pilasters with acanthus capitals, flanked in turn by inverted scrolls. Cherub's head above inscription. Moulded broken-based segmental pediment enclosing achievements, and surmounted by gadrooned urn. Monument to north of chancel arch to Jane Brewer, d.1676. Rectangular inscription panel with moulded border, set on moulded black marble plinth with gadrooned consoles and palm frond base plate. Inscription flanked by Ionic columns and by inverted foliated scrolls. Moulded cornice and scrolled pediment with achievements. Monument on north wall of nave to Jane Brewer, d.1716, by Robert Taylor. Grey-veined marble. Consoles, moulded and gadrooned plinth. Draped base plate with shield and cherub's heads. Fluted Doric pilasters and triglyphed frieze. Moulded cornice breaking forwards over pilasters and surmounted by three urns. Monument on north wall of chancel to Augustine Skynner, d.1672. White marble inscription panel on black ground. Moulded and consoled black marble plinth. Rectangular base plate with shield. Ionic columns flanking inscription Moulded cornice surmounted by achievements. Hanging monument on north wall of chancel to Edward Lawrence, d.1605. Kneeling figures of man with sons and woman with daughters in recess above inscription panel, all enclosed by ribboned side panels. Shaped base plate. Plain frieze with obelisk finials and scrolled central achievements. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald; 1980 edition).

Listing NGR: TQ7132052730

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

National Grid Reference: TQ 71558 53501

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:35:19.