List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1060552

Location

THE OLD HOUSE, PARSONAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityMilverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270449

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1225 MILVERTON CP PARSONAGE LANE (East side)

11/238 The Old House (formerly listed as The Parsonage under General)

25.1.56

GV II*

House. Late C15, early C16, extensively restored 1883. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth only on facade of porch, right return and facade of hall to right, slate roof, coped verges. Original block faces South, stair turret projection to North-east, C19 service wing to North-west fronting road and C18 brick addition to East. One and a half storeys, irregularly placed fenestration (probably all late C19) Tudor arch hollow chamfer mullions, ground floor 3-light to left of porch, one 3-light and one 4-light to right first floor only one 5-light in gabled projection above hall. 2-storeys gabled porch, diagonal buttresses coping verges, moulded string course below gable, original 2-light Tudor arch mullions with ferramenta,moulded arched opening. Innerdoor with moulded 4 centred arch wooden door case below hood mould, decorated spandrels, dated 1480 in C19 hand. Interior: buttery to left of stone flagged cross passage, hall to right, very high ceiling with 8 panel moulded compartment ceiling at dias end beside oriel arch with decorative stone panels giving access to C18 addition. Both rooms have imported panelling, that in the buttery, now dining room, reputedly originates from The Old Rectory, Combe Florey. Very small fireplace considering size of room set in North wall, probably reset, with dog leg stair turret behind axial passage, moulded handrails, C16 pierced flat balusters, with 6 panel moulded compartment ceiling above. Upstairs barrel vaulted room that originally ran the length of the house with partition over buttery end. This was the rectory house of the Archdeacon of Taunton and remained church property until the mid C20. For further discussion of the possible dating and evolution of the house. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, December 1973).

Listing NGR: ST1222725880

Selected Sources

Other
December, (1973)

National Grid Reference: ST 12227 25880

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:29:57.