List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1060422

Location

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityWest Monkton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NE WEST MONKTON CP WEST MONKTON VILLAGE 6/204 Church of St Augustine 22.2.55

GV I

Parish church. Some C13 work, C14 tower and South aisle, mid C15 clerestoried nave roof, North aisle, South porch, circa 1820 vestry added, West door became main entrance 1821, 1883-4 North and South aisles extended one bay, former linked to vestry by organ chamber, West gallery removed, church reseated and refitted, 1957 church redecorated, 1966 South chapel restored. Late C19 work by G C Strawbridge of Taunton. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings and quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4 bay clerestoried nave, 4 bay South aisle with chapel, South porch, 4 bay North aisle with organ chamber and vestry, chancel. 4 stage crenellated tower, set back buttresses, full height crenellated forth Test stair turret, string courses, 2-light mullioned and transomed louvred bell-openings, South face empty canopied niche with 2-light mullioned and transomed trefoil headed window above, 3-light mullioned and transomed trefoil headed West window, early Perpendicular moulded West door, C19 double doors; 8 cinquefoil headed 3-light clerestorey windows, crenellated South aisle, 2-light West window, South front blue lias tablet to Anna Musgrave, died 1709, with Ham stone cherub console, 2-light window left of single storey crenellated porch with gabled centre filled with sundial inscribed Timothy Lock(ett) and Will(iam) House 1725, (the donors of 4 pieces of communion plate), string course and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, moulded arched doorframes, C19 inner door and roof, piscina right, angle corbel over floor, two 2-light windows right between stepped buttresses, end bay unlit with priest's door, more C18 blue lias tablets with good lettering including another carried on Ham stone cherub console, 3-light East window to aisle, 3-light windows to South and East walls of chancel, diagonal buttresses, reset stall 2-light North window, deeply set 3-light window to organ chamber, crenellated North aisle, three 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, rainwater heads dated 1922, 2-light West window. Interior: whitewashed, fragmentary remains of wall paintings found on jambs of clerestorey windows and on South arcade in 1957 have been covered over. Tower arch chamfered in 3 orders, dying into imposts, chancel arch continuous double chamfer. Chancel C19 arched braced roof, plastered tonopitch aisle roots, fine ribbed wagon roof with bosses in nave, foliage decorated wall plate with angels. Standard Perpendicular arcades, South aisle with rosettes on capitals, likewise East ends of aisles and at crossing. Rood loft stair opening about 1.25 metres from ground on forth side of chancel arch, aumbry to right; piscina in South aisle. Fittings including pews, font, reredos, pulpit and statue of St Augustine in crocketed niche above, all 1883-4; the Beer stone pulpit with stairway by G Strawbridge who was probably also responsible for the other fittings, Screen at East end of North aisle composed of C17 and C18 fittings removed from church in the 1880s and including the remains of a family pew dated 1614. Late C19 stained glass including East window by Clayton and Bell in memory of the Rev Kingslake 1838-81; West window 4 panels of painted glass signed and dated Grey and Son, 1821, reset from earlier East window. Unidentified coat of arms set over chancel arch on sanctuary side. Large collection of interesting monuments including a small half figure brass of a cleric thought to be Henry Abyndon, rector 1436-57, in chancel; marble and slate draped aedicule with urn to Alexander Popham died 1767; slate and Deer stone plaque with a bat winged skull to George Musgrave died 1693; slate headstone to William Kingslake, physician, died 1666 with inscription; interesting painted and gilded slate tablet to Elisabeth Musgrave died 1708 with later C18 additions giving details of the seating arrangements in the church; other C18 monuments and two early C19 ones signed T King of Bath. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1897; M E Roynan, Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST2630628457

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Roynan, M E , Church of St Augustine of Canterbury West Monkton, (1982)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)

National Grid Reference: ST 26304 28453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:19:07.