List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1060318

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityNynehead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271007

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NYNEHEAD C P ST12SW NYNEHEAD VILLAGE 4/65 Church of All Saints 25.1.56 GV I Parish church. C14, south aisle and chapel c1410, 1869 church restored, organ chamber, vestry and north chapel added by Edward Sandford of Nynehead Court (qv), restored 1970s. Red sandstone, squared and uncoursed, roughcast south aisle and chapel. Ham stone and red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south aisle with chapel, south porch, west chapel with Sandford Chapel adjoining, north-east organ chamber and vestry, chancel.Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonally buttressed, 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, 3-light west window,moulded pointed arch west door, external stair addition in south-east corner adjoining disused stair turret; 2-light west window to diagonally buttressed south aisle, one 3-light window left and 2 right of single storey gabled porch,moulded arch opening, remains of wagon roof, moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door, 4-light window east end of south chapel, 2-light to south face of chancel, one diagonal buttress, 3-light east window, lancet, gable end of vestry with rose window and 2-light below, cinquefoil headed lancet on return, 2-light on north face of vestry, 2-light to east end of Sandford chapel, rose window north gable end, 2-light on west front beside pointed arch opening, blocked 4-centred arch head to former doorway of original north chapel, two 3-light windows to nave. Interior: rendered, exposed quoins in chancel exposed rubble in tower. Chancel arch: moulded pointed arch partly cut where rood stair inserted; moulded Perpendicular arches to south chapel; C19 three bay arcade with larger central arch to organ bay, chamfered 4-centred arch to original north chapel; chamfered pointed tower arch; 3-bay standard Perpendicular arcade. Rood stair rebuilt mid C19; hagioscope; piscina in chancel. C19 ceiled barrel vault roof to chancel, nave and aisle with renewed ribbed wagon roof with bosses and wallplate. Perpendicular font. Interesting collection of stained glass east window and rose window by Heaton, Butler and Pain, C17 and C19 armourial glass in Sandford chapel, window with royal coat of arms 1851 by Mr Toms of Wellington who was responsible for some other windows some by Mr Drake of Exeter, west window by Butler,C19 enamelled glass in chancel after designs by Sir Joshua Reynolds. Organ by Charles Bailey rebuilt by Mr Tons of Wellington. Reredos by Seymour of Taunton with "opus sectile" work by Powells of London. Three bay screen with adjoining half bays said to be c1480 with arms of the Wyke family, restored with parts of a coeval screen from Hillfarrance church (qv) added on chancel side and beside organ. Good collection of memorials; in south chapel aedicule with ? kneeling figures, Edward and Elizabeth Clarke, died 1679 and 1667, made locally in filverton for £25; tablet in moulded surround cut by jambs of east window inscribed with poem by John Locke, the philosopher, who visited the Clarkes at Chipley Park (qv) Sandford chapel with many memorials to family including portrait bust of the Rev John Sandford by Costoli 1835 and kneeling angel by same sculptor; particularly fine cartouche tablet with draped cloth carved with inscription to William Sandford died 1718. C16 tablet in chancel now illegible attributed to Wyke family,who lived at Nynehead Court (qv). Plaque with Madonna and child by workshop of Della Robbia opposite statue of Elijah by Mr Giles of Wellington in former rood stair, Another Della Robbia workshop piece in south aisle. These and the celebrated Mino da Fiesole base-relief, sold in 1970 to Cardiff Museum and Art Gallery, were given by the Rev John Sandford, vicar of Nynehead resident of Florence, whose notable art collection descended via his daughter to the Methua collection at Corsha Court. A rich collection of fittings, (Photograph in NHfli Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Whittaker, Notes in the History of Nynehead Court, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST1379222718

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Other
Whittaker, Notes on the History of Nynehead Court, 1978,

National Grid Reference: ST 13784 22715

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:59:16.