List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1060274

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityStaple Fitzpaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271106

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST21NE STAPLE FITZPAINE CP STAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE

11/167 Church of St Peter

25.2.55

GV I Parish church. Norman in origin, Norman doorway reset in south aisle, chancel C14, north aisle added and church refenestrated C15, tower cl500, south aisle added reusing nave windows, south porch and vestry 1841, church reseated and restored 1894, reroofed mid C20. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, behind plain parapets, coped verges. Three and a half bay aisled nave, west tower, south porch, chancel, north-east vestry. Crenellated 3-stage tower, merlons pierced with trefoil headed arches set on quatrefoil pierced parapet, crocketed finials with detached pinnacles and corbelled out pinnacles in the centre of each face, string courses, gargoyles, set back buttresses terminating in pinnacles with pinnacles rising in between, two 2-light mullioned and transomed bell-openings, Somerset tracery, flanked by pinnacles rising from string course, second stage 4-light mullioned and transomed window sill supported by angel corbels, empty crocketed niches with angel corbels, string course, 4-light west window above strongly moulded Tudor arch head west door, decorative spandrels with coats of arms (possibly of the Earls of Northumberland who had the gift of the living), C19 door, flanking niches, stone spire to north-east stair turret with crocketed pinnacles, 4-centred arch doorway and blind niches; 3-light west window to south aisle, set back buttresses, 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, coped verges, moulded arched doorway, Norman inner door, decorated arch and abaci with oxen's face, bird and palmette, no columns, C19 ribbed door, 3-light window east end, two 3-light to south wall of chancel, setback buttresses, 3-light east window, vestry with door on east front and 2-light north window, 3- light north window to chancel, 3-light at east end of north aisle, statues set in niches south-west and north-east corners, three 3-light windows north face, stepped buttresses between, 3-light west end. Interior: exposed blue lias rubble. Standard Perpendicular arcade with half bay at chancel end, copied in north aisle. Pointed chancel arch chamfered in 2 orders, strongly moulded 4-centred tower arch. Chamfered round arched piscina in chancel. Grotesque figure corbel supporting statue niche in north-west corner of north aisle. Roofs: chancel, restored ceiled wagon roof, bosses and wall plate, resting on cavetto moulded stone cornice, nave similar without stone cornice; north aisle renewed moulded compartment ceiling to monopitch roof, angel corbels with shields, copied in south aisle; tower 4-panel compartment ceiling. Restored 2:1:2 bay rood screen imported from the demolished Bickenhall Church. Perpendicular font. Four C18 slate slabs on sanctuary floor; kneeling effigy of Rachel Portman, daughter of Henry ?ortman, died 1632 also from Bickenhall Church, (demolished 1849). Convex lias panel to William Crosse of Parke Lodge died 1702, the columns, heavy cornice and weeping putti described by Collinson were destroyed during 1841 restoration. Oval grey and white marble tablet to Robert Barker, died 1785, and his wife Ann. The restoration of 1841 was carried out at the expense of the Rector, the Rev F B Portman; prior to this the church is said to have comprised a nave and chancel north aisle, porch and south chapel. A particularly splendid tower, similar to those at Kingston St Mary and Isle Abbotts. (Photographs in NMR; Sixsmith, Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, 1958; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and west Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2637718238

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Sixsmith - Title: Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche - Date: 1958
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 26377 18237

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 01:52:03.