List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1060177

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityOver Stowey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269383

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST13NE OVER STOWEY CP

OVER STOWEY VILLAGE

1/122 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

29.3.63 II*

Anglican Parish Church. First recorded incumbent 1144. C14/C15 tower, much rebuilt by Richard Carver in 1840, further late C19 work. Roughly coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, crested ridge, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north chapel and vestry; west tower; vault. Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. Two stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, plinth with offset, gargoyles, embattled topping stair-turret on north side, 2-light bell-chamber windows with stone grilles; 3-light west window, west door in a moulded surround. Nave of 1:2:1 bays, single and 3-light windows, cambered heads; 2 bay North aisle, windows in conforming style. Three bay chancel, trefoiled lancets, 3- light east window. Plastered interior on flag floors, chancel with mosaic pavement; C19 wagon roofs; arcade to north aisle, piers of 4-hollows section; C14 tower arch; plain chancel arch. Fittings:- good C15 bench ends; C15 octagonal font; C17 cover; C17 coffin stools; large branch dated 1775; iii altar, reredos, choir stalls, pews, pulpit, light fittings and painted texts. Memorials:- several slabs to floor, most important to Humfry Blake of 1619 and Baron Taunton of 1869; C18 wall monument under tower, several others of C19, particularly to Thomas and James Rich of 1813/15 by H. Wood of Bristol. Much stained glass:- East window by Hardman 1857; 6 windows by Morris & Co., 2 to aisle of 1870 and 1874 particularly good. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and Nest Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1855938510

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 18559 38510

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 07:00:21.