List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1060158

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityBawdrip

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BANDRIP CP CHURCH ROAD (West side) ST33NW 8/5 Church of St Michael and All Angels 29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Predominantly late C13 early C14, extensively restored 1866. Squared, and coursed and squared rubble, rough-dressed quoins, tile roofs, crested ridges, coped verges, cruciform finials. Decorated and neo-Decorated style. Nave, chancel, crossing tower, north and south transepts, south porch, small C19 lean-to vestry by the porch. The tower plain and unbuttressed, embattled, string at bell-chamber stage and below the parapet, gargoyles; single light bell chamber windows with louvres, below 2 blocked 2-light windows with tracery and 2 single light openings with foiled heads, each with leaded lights; clock. Two bay nave, 2-bay chancel, single bay transepts, windows with curvilinear tracery, much renewed, labels with carved heads as stops. Square head 3-light north and south windows to chancel as well as the 3-light pointed head east window are Perpendicular. Gabled porch, benched interior on a flagstone floor. Interior scraped on flagstone floors. C19 roofs. The crossing with arches of 2 orders supported by corbels carved as heads, these in turn supported on massive lias piers pierced by squints to chancel and through way between nave and north transept; above a cantilevered stone staircase which gives access to ringing chamber reached by an external doorway. Chancel with aumbry, sedila, and piscina; piscinae to transepts, that to south particularly fine. C17 coffin stool. C18 chair. Cl9 pulpit, pews, font, organ and stone reredos. North transept with recumbent effigy of Sir Simon de Bradney, in armour, obit. 1375, foiled canopy with pierced cusping and 4 carved heads. C17 memorial behind the altar with Latin text. Five late C18 early C19 wall monuments. C19 and early C20 stained glass. Four early bells. (Faculty deposited SRO pertaining to 1866 restoration; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST3414639586

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Michael and All Angels Bawdrip Church Guide

National Grid Reference: ST 34146 39586

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 12:14:27.