List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST

List entry Number: 1060152

Location

PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityBroomfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269430

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list

ST 23 SW BROOMFIELD

6/171 Patcombe Farmhouse including chimney stack GV adjoining south east

II*

Bailiffs house in landscaped park. Probably 1771 by John Johnson for Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte of Halswell House, Goathurst(qv) Red brick in Flemish bond. Pantile hipped roof.

Plan: Symmetrical 2-room rectangular plan classical style building with a central stack at the front of which is an integral colonaded portico giving individual access to each room. The 2 rooms also have doorways at the back giving into a lobby with a back door and a staircase behind the central stack.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay north front with a brick modillion eaves cornice and string with 2 brick console brackets either side of a small central pedimented gable with a circular window. Central stone portico in form of a bowed Roman Doric colonade flanked by windows in large round headed recess with a stringcourse at impost level. The stringcourse continues on the right hand return at impost level of the 3-bay blind arcade which has a rectangular panel above each arch and a window in the centre. The modillion eaves cornice continues around the west side and at the rear (South) but the east side facing the bank is plain. There is a length of brick retaining wall adjoining at the back built into which is a stack with 3 flues and a large symmetrical arch fireplace (outside the house).

Interior: Farm animals have had access to the interior, the doors and chimneypieces are missing, the balustrade to the winder staircase has gone but the door frames and some of the panelled window shutters remain as well as the wall plaster.

Historical note: Patcombe Farmhouse was built as the bailiffs house, was part of Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte's landscaping of Halswell and might have been the "Temple of Pan in the Gardens of Sir Charles Kemeys ... at Halswell" exhibited by John Johnson at the Society of Artists in 1778.

Source: Gervase Jackson-Stops, Country Life, 9th February 1989.

Listing NGR: ST2479933368

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 9 February, (1989)

National Grid Reference: ST 24799 33368

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 06:28:19.