List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1060138

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityWest Huntspill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST HUNTSPILL CP CHURCH ROAD (West Side) ST34NW HUNTSPILL 2/59 Church of St Peter 29.3.63

GV I

(Church Road marked on OS map as Church Lane). Anglican parish church. Established by 1208, rebuilt c1400, extended early-mid C15, gutted by fire 1878, restored 1879-80. Coursed and squared lias rubble, freestone dressings, gargoyles, parapets with moulded copings, some of which are embattled, tile and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials, C19 ashlar stack to the vestry. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels clasping the chancel, north vestry at east end of north chapel, south porch, west tower. Perpendicular. Tall and sturdy tower, embattled, 4-stages, set-back buttresses with offsets which ascend only as far as the top stage; stair turret between the buttresses at south west corner; ringing chamber stage with simple oblong windows; 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery; richly treated west end, pointed arch door opening in a moulded surround, the spandrels with, blank shields, flanking shafts and foiled niches outside these, large 5-light window overall, plank doors with ornamental strap hinges. Five bay nave, 5 bay aisles, tall and narrow 2-light windows with thick tracery, buttresses, north and south doorways, plank doors and iron strap hinges; the south with a 2-storeyed porch, broad moulded outer door opening, above a single light window to parvis, inside benched on flagstone floor, strap, parvis floor removed. Three-bay chapels with large 3-light traceried windows, buttresses, low north and south doorways. Chancel with large 5-light east window, tracery. Two storeyed vestry, floor now removed, blocked window on first floor to east, on ground floor a 3-light window with renewed tracery. Majority of windows with iron saddle and stanchion bars. Lofty plastered interior on tile and encaustic tile floors, elaborate neo-medieval roofs on the restoration, much carving including figures; on C14 corbels, some as heads, 6 angels to chancel holding the emblems of the Passion. Nave with arcades of 5 bays, piers of 4 hollows section, 2 conforming narrower bays to the chapels. Tower arch with responds of 4-hollows section, boldly treated. Vestigial chancel arch set high up. Blocked window to north of chancel with tracery. South chapel with Cl4 piscina. Upper and lower entrances to rood with turret. South aisle with tomb of Sir William Cogan and lady, obit c1380, recess with life-size effigies, cusped outer arch renewed C19. Small oval brass memorial to chancel of 1687. Jacobean pulpit with arcade of blank arches and texts, some Cl9 embellishments; restored C17 chair; neo-Norman font with C17 tester; C17 chest and a Cl4 iron bound chest. Royal Arms of Charles II under tower. Early C18 painting under tower, St Peter healing the cripple. C18 altar table, stated to be the remains of a much larger reredos. C18 wooden cartouche over south door. Remainder of fittings predominatly late C19, high quality work including pews, lectern, organ, parclose screens, altar rail and stone reredos. Five principal brass wall monuments, 4 charity plaques. Carved choir stalls of c1930. Fine east window by Clayton and Sell, 2 further late C19 stained glass windows; 2 mid C20 stained glass windows, one by William Aikman. Although gutted the medieval work that remains is of great worth, for example the tower, arcades, and window tracery. (Church Guide, anon; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS Proceedings, 98, l3-16).

Listing NGR: ST3047345468

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Peter Church Guide
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Page References: 13-16
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 30474 45469

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 03:55:51.