List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1059792

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityCulham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULHAM THE GREEN SU5094 (South side) 12/37 Church of St. Paul 18/07/63

GV II



Church. Tower c.1710; nave, aisles and south transept c.1852 by Joseph Clarke; chancel c.1872 by R.P. Spiers. Uncoursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed stone to church with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible. 4-bay nave and north aisle, south transept, chancel and west tower. Early English style. 2-centred archway with hood mould and triangular moulded surround to porch to left of centre of nave. Double plank doors with wrought iron hinges to 2-centre arched doorway. 2-light plate tracery and trefoil lancet windows. Doorway with plank door to base of tower; tower of 2 stages. Louvred opening to each side of top of tower. Plain parapet to tower with stepped corners. Interior: wooden barrel-vault to chancel, 4-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to nave. C19 stencil decoration to chancel walls. Piscina to right of chancel. 2-centred chancel arch on half-columns. 2-centred transept arch on corbels. Aisle arcade of three 2-centred arches on columns. C19 pews with wrought iron candelabra to ends. C19 octagonal stone font with pierced wood cover. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.565; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.37).

Listing NGR: SU5018094972

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 565
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 37

National Grid Reference: SU 50180 94972

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 06:49:36.