List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1059730

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityPyrton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248980

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PYRTON CHURCH LANE SU6895 (West side) 13/134 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Early C12, C15 porch; rebuilt in 1856 by J.C. Buckler. Knapped and coursed flint, limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Chancel with vestry and nave with porch and west bellcote. 3-light geometrical-style east window: chancel side walls each have early C12 roll-moulded lancet: north vestry has mid C19 round-arched windows. 3-bay nave with 2-light curvilinear-style windows, and south porch with pointed moulded doorway and C15 three-light trefoil-headed windows. Early C12 south doorway has hood of grapes, leaves and fruit over zig-zag arch: jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and quatrefoil imposts: mid C19 plank door. 2-light curvilinear-style west window flanked by tall buttresses: bellcote has trefoil-headed lancet over 2 cinquefoil-headed bell openings. Interior: chancel has brass of Thomas Symeon and wife, d.1522, floor slab with figure of priest, c.1340, and alabaster floor tablet to Susanna Ackworth, d.1585. Vestry has wall monument to Thomas Barnard, d.1582. Early C12 chancel arch has hood with flat reeded leaves over moulded arch on imposts decorated with star-in-square pattern; jamb shafts carved with basket weave (south) and interlace (north) have cable necks. Nave has top half of Jacobean pulpit set on C19 platform. C12 font with mid C19 cover, and mid C19 pews, lectern and arch-braced roof: brass tablet by Eric Gill in memory of Alfred St. George Hammersley, d.1929. South porch has some medieval floor tiles, floor tablet to Thomas Pyrton d.1701, early C19 wall tablets (Wiggins family) and C15 arch-braced collar trusses. Stained glass: fine east window, south-east nave window by Clayton and Bell, 1893. The Church was given to Runcorn Priory, Cheshire in 1115: the fine Norman features probably date from this time. Buckler sought to preserve them in his Gothic restoration of 1856. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.732-733; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.172-4; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SU6874095693

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1964 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 172-4
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 732-733

National Grid Reference: SU 68740 95693

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 02:25:11.