List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1059703

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityAdwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249019

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADWELL SU6999 17/5 Church of St. Mary

GV II

Church. c.1865, incorporating some earlier features. By A.W. Blomfield for H. Birch Reynardson. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; stone bellcote; stone chimney stack to ridge of chancel chapel. 4-bay nave; chancel with chancel chapels. Gothic Revival style. Porch to left of nave with re-set Romanesque doorway of moulded round arch on columns; C19 plank door. 2-light windows of reticulated tracery to nave. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel chapel. Rear: lancets to nave, except 2-light window of reticulated tracery to right. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel chapel. East end: 3-light intersecting tracery window. West end: central buttress, supporting ornate stone bellcote, with flanking lancets. Interior: scissor-braced roofs to chancel and chapels; arch-braced collar-truss roof with king-posts to nave; Minton encaustic tile reredos; sedilia with re-set Early English tracery; Gothick-style monument to Frances Webb, c.1846 to north chancel chapel; effigy of knight holding his heart, partly covered by shield, c.1300, to north wall of nave. C19 font on cluster columns; east window by H. Hughes. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.419; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.15).

Listing NGR: SU6964599581

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1964 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 15
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 419

National Grid Reference: SU 69645 99581

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 01:23:28.